G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow

+3
maliburacinfreak
HDHugger
1973 454 MONTE
7 posters

Go down

im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow Empty im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow

Post by cromags76 BANNED Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:18 pm

so im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow hopefully getting the door glass, and a few other little parts, wish me luck lol anything i should look for on this?

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : -6

Back to top Go down

im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow Empty Re: im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 pm

cromags76 wrote:so im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow hopefully getting the door glass, and a few other little parts, wish me luck lol anything i should look for on this?

good luck
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow Empty Re: im going to look at a 75 malibu tomorrow

Post by cromags76 BANNED Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

thx

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 pm

yeah send me some swivel bucket seat belts, eschelouns and the belt guides! In black!!!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am

If you get the door glass & all of the window hardware is still good, snatch it up. You can thank me later when one goes pop. Check out all of the trim pieces too. Even though most parts are available for our cars now, good trim is still hard to find. LOL that didn't come out right.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am

lmfao and i already have a whole spare set for both doors they came off the old rusty doors i had before i put my malibu ones on my elky and i was thinking about looking for some rare trim and emblems and stuff like that
apparently its dark blue interior and the front end is like gone with no motor or trans
im looking at the door glass, the header panel on the back right side, and the whole plastic clip on the back that holds everything together(which i hope will work with the 77 malibu), some dash pieces its round guages, and i hope this is a 75 malibu classic with the door bumpers and all the emblems on it, i would be in heaven!! lol! Leg Hump

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm

so i went and looked at the car today
got the drivers glass, wiper motor, chrome side mirror, the whole ac box with the dryer and evaporator and blower, and the hood lock bracket, and the door panels all for 70 bucks
tell me if thats a good deal i think it is
he has a whole rear end (i dont think its a posi) that he will sell to me for 100 bucks thats with the springs and all the trailing arms and stuff i might do that idk yet tho
he was telling me something about the cutlass rear end that you can pull the axles out easily or something??? rabbit

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Sure, just get a strong chain and a stronger tree... wrap the cahin around the axle... floor it. Let us know how that works out. What a Face

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 pm

no i mean take the axles out of the rear end, he said they just slide out, and on the other cars like mine you have to take out something before they slide out

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm

The Olds 10 inch rear end is what came in my 74 Elky from the factory. They ran out of Chevy rears so they just popped an Olds rear under it because it was available and they did not want to shut down the assemblyline. The Olds/Buick/Pontiac rear is the same as the Chevy except it does not have the C clips holding the axle in, it is bolted in and if you break an axle you don't have to worry about the wheel and axle flying out like a Chevy would. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:The Olds 10 inch rear end is what came in my 74 Elky from the factory. They ran out of Chevy rears so they just popped an Olds rear under it because it was available and they did not want to shut down the assemblyline. The Olds/Buick/Pontiac rear is the same as the Chevy except it does not have the C clips holding the axle in, it is bolted in and if you break an axle you don't have to worry about the wheel and axle flying out like a Chevy would. JB

yep yep thats it thats what he was saying
man i am going to have to get one of those
and my bad but im only 17 and i dont know anything about posi
can someone explain that?

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 pm

without the Posi, if you floor the car in snow or gravel the power will go to the wheel that is spinning the most and not giving you traction. With Posi, you have a series of clutches in the rear that forces the wheel with the most traction to take the load of power and get you going with less spinning. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 am

JB2wheeler wrote:without the Posi, if you floor the car in snow or gravel the power will go to the wheel that is spinning the most and not giving you traction. With Posi, you have a series of clutches in the rear that forces the wheel with the most traction to take the load of power and get you going with less spinning. JB

alright i understand what you are saying but cant you put a mini spool in it or something? to get both wheels to spin

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 am

cromags76 wrote:
JB2wheeler wrote:without the Posi, if you floor the car in snow or gravel the power will go to the wheel that is spinning the most and not giving you traction. With Posi, you have a series of clutches in the rear that forces the wheel with the most traction to take the load of power and get you going with less spinning. JB

alright i understand what you are saying but cant you put a mini spool in it or something? to get both wheels to spin
you can but spools suck on the street and mini spools break. theyre only recommended for dirt racing. posi is the way to go for street use

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 am

Check out this entry on Wikipedia. Should get you all 'learned' up on rear ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

And congrats on the smoking deal for all those parts. Good find.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:28 am

BlackChevelleSS or BlueChevelleSS would be the guys to ask on the mini spool thing. The 73 that I got from them had a mini spool at one time & they drove around on it. I believe it's now underneath Blue's 454 powered 73 SS that gets drove on the street. Basically they permanently lock both axles together causing them to spin at the same speeds no matter what. I would assume chirping tires when turning, tires wearing out quicker, & a PITA on the snow.

To check for positraction, lift the car & spin one wheel.

Both tires spin same direction > posi.
Opposite direction > non-posi.

I would personally ask to pull the diff cover & count the teeth on both the ring & pinion, inspect everything, get visual confirmation of posi or not. If you aren't allowed to do that, then there may be something the owner is hiding.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:38 am

74Malibu383 wrote:Check out this entry on Wikipedia. Should get you all 'learned' up on rear ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

And congrats on the smoking deal for all those parts. Good find.

haha ok and thx, i am thinking about getting all the interior he would give me a good deal, all the plastic is good and the seats are useable just need to be recovered, and its all off of a 75 malibu classic, so it has the same opera windows as my 77 malibu

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 am

Rago wrote:BlackChevelleSS or BlueChevelleSS would be the guys to ask on the mini spool thing. The 73 that I got from them had a mini spool at one time & they drove around on it. I believe it's now underneath Blue's 454 powered 73 SS that gets drove on the street. Basically they permanently lock both axles together causing them to spin at the same speeds no matter what. I would assume chirping tires when turning, tires wearing out quicker, & a PITA on the snow.

To check for positraction, lift the car & spin one wheel.

Both tires spin same direction > posi.
Opposite direction > non-posi.

I would personally ask to pull the diff cover & count the teeth on both the ring & pinion, inspect everything, get visual confirmation of posi or not. If you aren't allowed to do that, then there may be something the owner is hiding.

cant you just install a regular spool the heavy duty ones? instead of the 20 dollar mini spool, and i know my elky doesnt have posi, and he is going to sell me a rear end that isnt posi for 100 with the springs and all the trailing arms and junk
is that a good deal? i am just wanting to clean it up and paint it then put it right in (that is after i change the gear oil) with no problems

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm not sure why you want to swap one complete rear end without posi, for another without posi. Is something wrong with your current set up? Seems like a lot of work for no real gain.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:I'm not sure why you want to swap one complete rear end without posi, for another without posi. Is something wrong with your current set up? Seems like a lot of work for no real gain.

no no no the picture of my car is when i got it
i ended up selling that rear end out of it cuz the car was origionally for parts to restore my elky (hence why both of my cars have the same bumper on it lol ) and i sold a bunch of other parts out of it, then i came up with the crazy idea to restore it lol so now i need another rear end but its technically like im just gettomg a rear end back for the money back cuz i sold the rear for 50 and the springs and trailing arms for 50 lol

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:17 pm

There is nothing wrong with an open rear end on roads that are not slick. They are a minor disadvantage in snow. If you use a good snow tire you should be all right. Of course if you will be drag racing you should have a posi. Forget the spool on the street, it wears out tires very quickly. What I used to do before they had posi was to weld the spider gears in the rear and that was the same as a spool. I drove that on the street without any problems, but kept tearing it out at the strip. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:20 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:There is nothing wrong with an open rear end on roads that are not slick. They are a minor disadvantage in snow. If you use a good snow tire you should be all right. Of course if you will be drag racing you should have a posi. Forget the spool on the street, it wears out tires very quickly. What I used to do before they had posi was to weld the spider gears in the rear and that was the same as a spool. I drove that on the street without any problems, but kept tearing it out at the strip. JB

yeah well i live in florida so i dont have to worry about snow, and no i am not drag racing, just daily driving, but i would at least like to do a good burnout here and there you know? GoFast lol!

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down