G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle of the V6s?

5 posters

Go down

Battle of the V6s? Empty Battle of the V6s?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed May 26, 2010 10:03 am

Did you ever think you would see a horsepower war between Camaro and Mustang V6 versions?

Mustang supposedly spanked Camaro by the way.....

http://autos.aol.com/article/mustang-camaro-horsepower-wars/
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Battle of the V6s? Empty Re: Battle of the V6s?

Post by The Dude Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

The new V6's are making more power than the old V8's.

2010 Camaro V6 - 304 hp
1971 Chevelle SS 454 (1st year for net ratings) - 285 hp
Even the 2001 Z/28 only made 310 hp

I never thought we'd see a battle between AMERICAN V6's, but Japan has been laying down some serious six cylinder power for a while. Just for example, the NSX & Supra. Let's not forget the 300 hp 4 cylinders they have spit out. In a way, I'm glad we have finally caught up. Just think of the new V6 as like a modern L79 & it doesn't sound so bad.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 pm

I just read the Car and Driver article that had a 4-way comparison with V-8 and V-6 models. Apparently the automaker's research is telling them that most younger people don't even want to hear about a V-8 anymore.
Apparently most youngsters don't believe that a V-8 can get good economy. So it sounds like the traditional V-8 muscle car is on its way out as soon as the 30-somethings and up stop shopping for these types of vehicles.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

lol well i am young and i can not stand the newer cars let alone a v6
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 am

Sad but true Bigred..... Most people from my generation & younger would prefer not having a "truck motor" even in redneckville where I live. I see V8's living on in trucks, but 15-20 years from now guys like us will be scrambling to find a new muscle car for sale. Like I said before, 4 & 6 cylinder cars have proven to be capable enough to run with the big dogs. Turbochargers, computers, & DOHC have leveled the playing field for power, but they get better gas mileage. 400 hp from an Eclipse, Supra, 300zx, RX7, RX8, 350z, WRX, or EVO is easily achieved & they are all lightweight RWD or AWD cars. OTOH, I don't ever see the Corvette losing the V8.

The only reason I stick with V8 power is because I like the V8 exhaust tones (especially cars in the sub 11 second territory), they are cavemen technology that's dirt cheap to build, & I love big classic cars.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu May 27, 2010 10:49 am

I wouldn't be suprised to see a V6 Vette in the next 5-10 years, like you guys said, a lotta younger folks don't care about the sound of a thumping V8- think of all the fart can cars you see, plus some of the exhaust companies are making mufflers that give the V6 a pretty good deep tone.

When you start seeing the V6 getting into the 300+ HP range, with a decent sound, bye-bye V8. Car companies have to sell what folks want to buy, if the demand for a V6 Vette is there, you'll see one eventually.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 pm

people who think they cant get good economy out of a v8 just dont know sh*t about cars
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down