G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decisions.

+2
The Dude
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

Decisions. Empty Decisions.

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 am

This winter, I plan on detailing the engine in my Monte(if I get a garage heater...). I have been somewhat considering not putting the smog equipment back on. I want to leave it on because its original, and works...you barley see any cars anymore with the smog pump anymore, so it kind of stands out. I like that. Yet, if I take it all off, I will probably get a slight HP boost, especially not having A/C. There won't be anything there to bog it down. The BIGGEST problem (will be) is the air tubes into the exhaust manifolds. They are very rusted on, and I am afraid they will break. IF I ever do decided to remove the pump etc, I will of course, want to keep it all, in case I ever want it back on, so I wouldn't want to damage the tubes. Assuming I keep the pump, I had planned on leaving the tubes on the manifolds as is, and sand blasting the manifolds with the tubes still on. Tape off and paint the manifolds black like I did my Chevelle, and clear coat the tubes. It's not a high horsepower car to begin with, so I probably wouldn't gain that much HP. But I love the originality of it. If you had a car like mine (as original etc) what would you do?

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Decisions. Empty Re: Decisions.

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 am

I would leave the pump on there you wont see much of gain by removing it compared to the originality of having it on there, Plus trying to remove may damage if not break the tube. I would run it as is, after you paint the exhaust that is.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am

Thumbs up

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 am

In you case, since you value originality (good trait to have) I'd say keep it on. OTOH, this is the beginning of the performance bug. If you get bit by taking it off, then next will be pulling the motor to set it in the corner so you can drop in a BB. Then comes wheels, lowering, etc. etc...... I'd already have it off without thinking twice, but if yours still works & you place it in shows then keep it. Originality DOES count in car shows.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:41 am

Lol, I'm no position to drop in a BB or lower etc anytime in the near future. but I get what you're saying.

Thanks for the input my friends...much appreciated!!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by laguna454/4spd Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

id say leave it on mines off but it has been since the 70,s i like original oem its like a time capsule thats my vote if it counts happy bowtie
laguna454/4spd
laguna454/4spd
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Mine is still on there on my 73. You dont see to many with it still there.
If you break those stupid tubes I think you can just replace them with some from an older model (68-72 Chevelle)
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 pm

The air pump in my car still works, but that stupid piece of crap is coming out when the engine swap happens.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum