G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High plains wind

+5
bigredlaguna
Biomedtech
pila
HDHugger
Mcarlo77
9 posters

Go down

High plains wind Empty High plains wind

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm

This isn't my pic, but this is what I had to deal with all day yesterday. Three semis blown over, two of which traveled across the opposing lane.

[img]High plains wind 4-15-111[/img]

Steady wind speed 40 to 45 mph with gusts up to 60 mph reported.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

High plains wind Empty Re: High plains wind

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Wow...I thought it was windy up here in Minnesota yesterday! Did you get the wrap-around snow that came with this front? We woke up to about 3" of snow on the lawns this morning. This has been one long, freakin' winter.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:59 pm

The day before and overnight we got about 1/2" of moisture. Mostly rain but when it did snow the flakes were big enough to feel through a coat. Today is as nice as you could wish for.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Sick of Wisconsin and this back and forth weather... next week I will be in California! Then when I get back, I will hate Wisconsin even more!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:19 pm

I lost some siding off of my house from the wind these last few days. Could be worse, those folks in the south had a rash of tornadoes. Don't think I would care to live down there.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm

well, we have a local phenomena in our area, which is cca 130mph winds up to 20 days a year (mostly during winter) i live in a valley beneath a mountain ridge, where cold air from inland accumulates. we however have a submediterranean climate, so when enough cold (heavier) air accumulates behind that ridge, it rushes down into the valley,creating strong winds.

trucks get pulled over, and those that sneak through the roadblock usually end up on their side. you usually see some 5 semis in a field alongside some 15 mile stretch of road. i filmed this on my way from school once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74tOD7zqvLc

traditional style roofs have rocks on top of them to prevent them from being blown away http://www.google.si/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ung.si/public/doc/studentska/image/ajdovscina_strehe.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ung.si/si/studentski-vodnik/ajdovscina/&usg=__sfQ2Wo4bVTlWG8O3jzmurR0_4yc=&h=681&w=1024&sz=884&hl=sl&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Fuq-pxmlpx0X9M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=165&ei=ll6rTejEBcmo8AOAvvS4Ag&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dajdov%25C5%25A1%25C4%258Dina%2Bstreha%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dsl%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D676%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=418&oei=ll6rTejEBcmo8AOAvvS4Ag&page=1&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=109&ty=73

however, when someone tries to be smart and use some modern style roofs, this is what happens: http://www.google.si/imgres?imgurl=http://www.erevija.com/files/pictures/17111/1711171.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.erevija.com/novica/1711171/Mocna-burja-v-Ajdovscini-je-odkrila-streho-osnovne-sole--solarji-brez-poskodb&usg=__f0bi-WF9-qCgsgNoG-wznaPo_y0=&h=216&w=326&sz=17&hl=sl&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=bS5CVuzYElnQ-M:&tbnh=125&tbnw=167&ei=Pl-rTfieLYGhOvulhOQJ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dburja%2Bstreha%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dsl%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D676%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=307&oei=JV-rTZD0Bcyq8AOiyPm4Ag&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=99&ty=57
my younger brother didnt have to go to school because of that one, as this was on an elementary school building:)

we are used to that and life goes on almost normally when this is happening. you see people walking under an angle so that they can maintain balance. the trick is it blows in bursts, so it looks as if the whole town got drunk if you watch people walk:) the ones not from here usually end up embracing traffic signs:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTmZJz2Fgk

here is a video of it, but it doesnt do it justice, as its hard to film moving air:) the name of this wind is burja (bora in italian), write that in youtube and you will get many videos.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Yeah those winds in the Chicago area were a pain! Just picked up my new hood Friday afternoon from VFN, and it caused me to have a very nerve wracking drive back to Michigan with the new baby strapped to the roof rack!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Our winds are determined by the path a high or low pressure center is moving across the area. Friday's weather was the result of being on the west side of a strong low pressure center.

When you look at a weather map, there are lines that show the pressure gradient. The closer together those lines are- the higher the wind speed is.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I've been driving the '77 in the high winds we've had in DFW lately, the Explorer tracks like a drunken sailboat and makes it kind of nerve wracking. The car on the other hand just kind of shrugs it off

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm

texan01 wrote:I've been driving the '77 in the high winds we've had in DFW lately, the Explorer tracks like a drunken sailboat and makes it kind of nerve wracking. The car on the other hand just kind of shrugs it off

yeah they are very stable, just dont open the door lol Laughing my mum did that once on an old citroen and they opened for a full half circle!

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm

yah, the doors are heavy enough, so I make sure to hold onto it

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ss2323ss Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Here in the Panhandle of Texas 60 to 70 mph wind is not unusual. I can relate to the brown-outs........ lol
ss2323ss
ss2323ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:31 pm

ss2323ss wrote:Here in the Panhandle of Texas 60 to 70 mph wind is not unusual. I can relate to the brown-outs........ lol

I can vouch for that, we were driving up 287 between Dumas and Amarillo and a summer thunderstorm struck, nearly blew us off the road one year, another time just outside of Turkey we rounded a curve in my little Contour and met a wall of dust, maybe 50mph sustained.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 am

You watch your butt out there with them twisters.

If it's So Cal you will be in, pm for a list of car shows if you want them.

74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down