G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article on a '74 Century

4 posters

Go down

Article on a '74 Century Empty Article on a '74 Century

Post by 1973 Buick Century Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Found this older article while looking for factory reference photos. Thought this was kind of a neat article.

http://www.examiner.com/automotive-in-kansas-city/how-a-1974-buick-century-can-be-more-awesome-than-a-ferrari-enzo
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Article on a '74 Century Empty Re: Article on a '74 Century

Post by The Dude Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 am

I enjoy reading stories like this. Even though it has a sad ending, it really shows the good times he had & the respect that he still has for these cars. Any press is good press, right?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by patman Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Cool story. He's right too. I find that now that my kids are grown and I have money to play with the cars I'm most interested are the ones I owned as a young man. I've got a 1971 Monte Carlo, like I had when I was dating my wife. I just got my 1973 Regal project. I had one when I first joined the Air Force, before the wife...haha. Next up is a 1967 Galaxie 500 fastback. That was my first car and I really want another.

patman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Patman: My first car was a 1978 Thunderbird. It took my teenagehood with grace and kept me together from all the dumb things I did. How I drove after watching reruns of the Rockford Files, no FWD import would have survived what I did to it. Rolling Eyes
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Rago: Even before I bought my '73 Buick, I noticed there was eaither very few or none at car shows for the '70s A bodies. There was a ton of '60s then following a ton of '80s GM cars. Nothing at all wrong with any of them but the '70s generation of cars (GM, FoMoCo, Chrysler) seem to have been forgotten.
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by patman Fri May 27, 2011 12:42 pm

1973 Buick Century wrote:Rago: Even before I bought my '73 Buick, I noticed there was eaither very few or none at car shows for the '70s A bodies. There was a ton of '60s then following a ton of '80s GM cars. Nothing at all wrong with any of them but the '70s generation of cars (GM, FoMoCo, Chrysler) seem to have been forgotten.

X2

It's funny to me that they're starting to become collectable. The 70's where just not "hot rod" material back in the day. Now there great body lines and rarity are making them "in". To bad that most seem to have been crushed. No

patman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Or sent to dirt track heaven. Crying or Very sad

I noticed with my first 76 back in high school that no one knew what I had or had ever seen one. Most Muscle Car guys laughed back then. Fast forward to today & I get nods from people that tell me stories about owning one back in the day. I've even started noticing more non-restored G3's popping up in the area lately. Down side is that there is now a twin to Brown Eye roaming around on what looks to be 26" or larger rims & bowties ghosted all over the body. Same 76 base model, same color. Barf
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Funny how things change in time, eh?

I have always a big plush '70s Lincolns or LTDs in the '90s and '00s. When I would roll up to a show, maaaaaaybe 5 people out of a few 100 would comment nice things or even look.

Everything would be '57 Chevys, '50s Thunderbirds, and a boat load of '60s muscle cars (again nothing wrong at all with '50/'60ss cars, love them myself) at local and county shows.

What I liked about my triple black '79 Town Car, '75 Mark IV, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood, and '76 LTD. They had all the modern convinces of A/C, disc (sometimes rear ABS) brakes, power windows/locks, drove nice and smooth, and best of all, there are SO many places to get service parts. I could fill it up and be on my way to Wyoming or down state IL in confort and look great doing it.

What I like about my Century and LTD wagons, they have everything I love in a car (RWD, full frame, V-8 ) AND can carry just about anything I need. They meet the demands of downtown Chicago driving, they are safe (I HATE that stupid crash test of a '10 Malibu and '59 Impala), and NOW when I roll up in a show, people look and love to talk about them.
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 27, 2011 4:36 pm

patman wrote:Cool story. He's right too. I find that now that my kids are grown and I have money to play with the cars I'm most interested are the ones I owned as a young man. I've got a 1971 Monte Carlo, like I had when I was dating my wife. I just got my 1973 Regal project. I had one when I first joined the Air Force, before the wife...haha. Next up is a 1967 Galaxie 500 fastback. That was my first car and I really want another.

You get that '67 Galaxie Fastback and I've got an ultra rare 4-spd floor console, bucket seats and floor shift strg column waiting for you to throw in it. I found this stuff in a car sitting way out among the trees at one of the yards I often visit. It had been hit hard in the rear around 1971 (judging from the last license plate tabs on it) and probably sitting out there in the back 40 ever since. I had grand illusions of maybe getting a Fastback someday and installing this setup myself. Now, I'm not so sure that's ever going to happen.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by patman Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:
patman wrote:Cool story. He's right too. I find that now that my kids are grown and I have money to play with the cars I'm most interested are the ones I owned as a young man. I've got a 1971 Monte Carlo, like I had when I was dating my wife. I just got my 1973 Regal project. I had one when I first joined the Air Force, before the wife...haha. Next up is a 1967 Galaxie 500 fastback. That was my first car and I really want another.

You get that '67 Galaxie Fastback and I've got an ultra rare 4-spd floor console, bucket seats and floor shift strg column waiting for you to throw in it. I found this stuff in a car sitting way out among the trees at one of the yards I often visit. It had been hit hard in the rear around 1971 (judging from the last license plate tabs on it) and probably sitting out there in the back 40 ever since. I had grand illusions of maybe getting a Fastback someday and installing this setup myself. Now, I'm not so sure that's ever going to happen.

Dude! I'm holding you to that! Now I have even more reason to look for one. haha

patman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:

It's kinda like Christmas when you find something like that..............

One of the things I love about this hobby is the hunt. Learn so much, get to meet new people, and in due time, find what your looking for.
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by patman Fri May 27, 2011 5:57 pm

1973 Buick Century wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:

It's kinda like Christmas when you find something like that..............

One of the things I love about this hobby is the hunt. Learn so much, get to meet new people, and in due time, find what your looking for.

Indeed!

patman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down