G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Key Stuck In Ignition

4 posters

Go down

Key Stuck In Ignition Empty Key Stuck In Ignition

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm

So I got home from work last night to find that my key was stuck in the ignition with the car running, killed the power from under the hood to shut it off. Pulled the steering wheel off today before work, got down into the column pretty far, I'm at the point where you remove the lock cylinder, but there are a bunch of broken pieces in there and I can't get the damn thing out. Any ideas for fixing this? or should I just break down and go get a whole new column?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Key Stuck In Ignition Empty Re: Key Stuck In Ignition

Post by pila Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:05 am

You can just pick away at getting the broken stuff out of it, because you can always get a different one. I see that The Parts Place had rebuilt columns. Don't know if they were on an exchange basis....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 am

thanks pila ill check that place out, my girlfriends dad has an extra column but its non tilt and we dont know if its the right length or not (i think its out of a 68-72 chevelle or 70-72 monte carlo) so i think we may try to make that work, but ill check out The Parts Place.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:40 am

Can you put up some pics of what you are seeing? You might be able to use some parts out of the older column, but not many due to the tilt/non tilt difference.

As far as swapping it with yours, it can physically fit, but the levers at the engine bay end are different
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:00 am

I have one from Limey you can have NO Ignition Key in there and is NON tilt but till you can find a tilt column your welcome to it

pay for ship its yours........Oh and you will need the plugs from your column to make it work I had to rob them for the Cutlass Column ( floor shyt) I put in Limey

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:39 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Can you put up some pics of what you are seeing? You might be able to use some parts out of the older column, but not many due to the tilt/non tilt difference.

As far as swapping it with yours, it can physically fit, but the levers at the engine bay end are different

ill go snap a couple shots right now and post them. i appreciate the help.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Limey wrote:I have one from Limey you can have NO Ignition Key in there and is NON tilt but till you can find a tilt column your welcome to it

pay for ship its yours........Oh and you will need the plugs from your column to make it work I had to rob them for the Cutlass Column ( floor shyt) I put in Limey

i would appreciate that a lot anthony thanks man
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:26 pm

NO Problem travis It is a coulmn shift non tilt just to put your wires in from the El Co and install the new ignition lock and your good

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:58 am

hey guys thanks for the help (especially anthony) i didnt think id be able to get the lock cylinder out but i removed it from the car and took it to work with me and the Master Tech and I were able to figure it out, there was one circular piece that attaches to the lock cylinder that had broken off and jammed everything, i put the new one in without it and i think its gonna work fine. not sure what exactly that piece was for, but oh well, kinda glad this happened, now that the steering wheel is off im finally gonna put my grant mahogany one on.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:14 pm

If it was a plastic piece that was at the end of the cylinder, it is part of the steering wheel lock mechanism.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:If it was a plastic piece that was at the end of the cylinder, it is part of the steering wheel lock mechanism.

it appears to be made out of some kind of metal, ill have to take a pic of it
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down