G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember These?

+4
Mcarlo77
77mali
orange Juiced
Joe73
8 posters

Go down

Remember These? Empty Remember These?

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

How many of you remember having a stack of gas receipts like these in your glove box?Hell, I actually remember when gas stations gave out glassware and goofy advertising things to put on your antenna! Found this Texaco receipt in a '68 Riviera. Thirty years ago...gas at $1.22/gal. in Mpls. This dude must have been runnin' on fumes if he put 19.2 gals in!

Remember These? Texaco10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Remember These? Empty Re: Remember These?

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I remember writing those out when I was 18 and swiping credit cards through leaving the impression of the card there on the longer "card specific"versions. LOL-1982 (was in 7th grade). That price on the receipt seems high...$2.22/gallon. Shocked
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm

I think the price might be in the ball park. I remember when I bought my '73 in 1982, the cheapest place to buy fuel here in NY was 99 cents a gallon for an off brand. So $1.22 "big" company gas might be in the ballpark especially if he bought super. Cool find !!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 pm

This Riviera was sporting a 430-4bbl...so, was probably burning premium/super!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 am

Since I'm older than dirt, I can remember the late 30s when riding with my dad to the gas station during one of the gas wars in those days. How about 11 gallons for a dollar !! That was the number I always remembered. Around 7 gallons for a buck was common. When I started driving in the late 40s, gas was around .26 cents a gallon. If those prices were figured in today's dollars, gas hasn't really gone up all that much. A bottle of Coca Cola was a nickle back then, so the math tells it. If gas was multiplied by how much Coke has increased, it would be like $5.20 a gallon.
The 4-buck a gallon is not good news for those of us with big engines. My Malibu gets 9 on a good day ! Rolling Eyes

Hard to say what gas mileage my Cadillac powered El Camino is gonna get......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 am

I can remember if I needed to put that much -20 bucks,into my 77 Monte I was just about pushing it into the station. Sunoco used to give you glasses with pictures of vintage cars on them . Times have changed, thats for sure. It happens and you dont even notice.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am

My old Cutlass took some filling up. 22 Gals? Avg was about $1.20 for the low octane back around 87 with a spike up from 1986 @ around $.80/gal

LOL (I would have never remembered)...
http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Interesting data. Was trying to remember when service stations, for the most part, got away from providing "full service". According to the author of this info, it was around '84.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 pm

I remember the texaco down the street from my old house was still doing full service well into the 90s., of course u were paying more for gas. I think it was about 20 cents more a gallon. I would see mostly older folks going thru there, and it went from 4 pumps of full service to just 1 pump towards the end.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:56 pm

I don't know how trustworthy the data source is but seems to be close to memory. It's based on pricing in Texas too. They blend differently by region (another reason gas in the US is higher than it should be).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I worked for a local standard oil all through highschool. We had full serve pumps and only one self sevrve pump. We had to check oil, tire presure and wash windows on every car we filled up. Used those credit card slips shown. Plus we had house accounts also on rolling metal jacket style clipboard thing. This is why you see so many cars with blown engines now. No one checks there oil when they fill up. I do all the times. It's like a habbit for me. I even remember when we had gas rashinging. The cars were lined up as we could only pump 10 gallons per car per day. The good perk was all who worked there could fill up our tanks.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey, Wally...you weren't one of those guys who tried to upsell little old ladies on a new set of Michelins just because the pressure was a little low, were you?!! lol!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Very Happy Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 pm

No we did not get commission back in those days. Just paid by the hour.
I moved up the street to one that did after school and we had a guy that would sell belts and Air filters and never install them. He was the owners son in law so nothing was done about it. The people would be sitiing in the car and he could still pull it off. I had to to be able to sleep at night so never sold anyone some thing they did not need or want. Self employed now and still have that same motto.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm

There is still a few full serve stations here and they clean windows and check air and oil,you have to ask but its not like years ago when they were all over.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:30 pm

ant7377 wrote:There is still a few full serve stations here and they clean windows and check air and oil,you have to ask but its not like years ago when they were all over.

Indiana too!
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down