G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It only took three long years..

+3
1973 454 MONTE
ant7377
lars
7 posters

Go down

It only took three long years.. Empty It only took three long years..

Post by lars Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:13 pm

But my car is registered. I'm trying to get it to pass inspection as of now.

It currently failed because of six things:
center-link
pit-man arms
front shocks
lack of a working defroster (heater makes noises as if it is going to work, but doesn't blow any air)
holes in the rear fenders
and my brake light is consistently on.

It also stalls, which I've found to be a defective egr valve.

I've ordered shocks, and plan on bondoing (ctrl+x) up the fenders. Any insight on some of my issues would be much appreciated. I'm so glad to finally get her on the road, she's ached for it.
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

It only took three long years.. Empty Re: It only took three long years..

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

You have one pitman arm and its all steel and dosent fail. Look at the steering box on the left hand side under the car you will see it. The non working defroster is probably because the vacuum line came off the ball on the right hand fender well . That works the diaphragm that send air to the dash and defroster vents. THe other stuff is important if your fron end is worn you need to fix those parts.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 pm

The center link & the arms (the one on the pass side is the Idler & the one off the steering pump is the Pitman)- can be removed as an "assembly". You'll need an impact wrench to remove the Pitman nut/washer first,( 1-5/16" on my 77) then you'll need a pitman arm puller to remove it from the steering box. The same pitman arm puller (auto zone item- can be rented) can be used to remove the center link from the tie rods. The Idler arm is attached to the frame by 2 bolts....easy peasie- lemon squeezie. If you need help- pm me & I'll get you my email. I just did this (kind of) & posted pics on my thread...took the steering box & shaft out too however.

Sorry- the link is here:
https://www.g3gm.com/t5609-center-link-removal-question?highlight=center+link

Last edited by 77mali on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm

but there is no moving joints in the pitman arm. its just a piece of steel.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Not necessary to remove the pitman arm, just remove the center link from it. You need a bunch of parts: Two inner tie-rod ends, two outer tie-rod ends, a center link, and an idler arm, to do it right. If there is still too much play in the steering, you can buy/exchange the steering box for about $140 bucks at Autozone, Advance Auto etc. If you do that, you will need to remove the pitman arm, since a rebuilt steering box doesn't come with the arm.
Like 77mali said, you can rent the tools you will need at the auto stores mentioned. You WILL need a front-end alignment after replacing those parts. You can check toe-in with a tape ruler for getting it close enough to drive to an alignment place.
Sounds a bit expensive, but getting the steering fixed right will make you glad you did it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Sure glad we don't have to pass vehicle inspection here in MN. What a nit-picking bunch of crap you guys have to put up with! Keep at it, Lars...you're almost there!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Lars, congrats my friend I know it's been a long time coming. These guys are right though, don't skimp on the front end parts or you will never get to fully enjoy the ride. Safety and piece of mind are first and foremost. Keep up the good work!
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 am

Pila is right, if the pitman arm is not broken or worn somehow (and it shouldn't be- as it is cast like 73 454 Monte said) you can leave it on the pump & it will pop off the center link by using the removal tool. Save some grunt work there.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down