G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

summit racing performance kits

5 posters

Go down

summit racing performance kits Empty summit racing performance kits

Post by Dead Man Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I was wondering about these kits I see for sale in the summit racing catalogs, most of them say these kits should make 425-450hp. and the kits come with new heads,cam,intake manifold. and some a new carb. my question is are they getting these numbers just by putting those kits on a stock bore motor ?. they run about 1400 bucks. seems like a good deal for 425hp on my stock 350, just seems like there has got to be more to it then just bolting some new heads and a cam.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

summit racing performance kits Empty Re: summit racing performance kits

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm

For that kind of money you could probably have a reputable engine builder do all the work with the parts included for just a bit more. What kind of heads in the kit & what's the specs on the crank-shaft (is the crank included in the price)?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

here is just one of the many kits they have. and as far and I can tell its just the heads,cam,and intake manifold. no crank.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-503-1
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Those kits confuse me...lol.

That seems like a lot of money in order to do all the work yourself. It's a non voretc set up which is a "correct build" for the period of the engine but I don't see how they claim all that horse power with you reusing a standard crank (which I assume is a 348) with a brand new Lunati cam & Holley cylinder heads (which if you read close are NOT CNC machined).

There are also no rockers included with the kit & no push-rod nuts of pivot balls- & no head gaskets you would think they would put those in there as well. You'll also have to have the block surface along the heads super clean. It's not any easy job and will be difficult unless you pull the engine.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

BTW, I bored mine to a 355 ci with new flat top pistons, new comp cams XE 262H with lifters, Magum rockers & hi-energy push rods & new double roller timing gears & chain. I have an alum Edel vortec intake & Comp Cams RHS vortec iron heads. With my reconditioned 348 crank the most the engine will put out is 350 hp. A bigger cam might have helped to increase it but I've always thought that you needed a 376 stroker crank to get up about 425.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm

yea seems shady for sure, but thanks for the input. helps me a lot. Cool
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:08 am

For $1400 you could buy a nice 355 or something nice on Craigslist. I have a full roller 355 on CL now that I'd love to unload that is comparable or better than that kit. It spun the tires in the 76 Laguna it was in from a 20 mph roll. Smile. Not necessarily trying to sell you my engine ( although I'd gladly do so lol ) I'm just stating that for the money, with a little knowledge of what you're looking at you could have what you wanted with 0 work in it.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 am

Nothing shady about Summit Racing. They have the best customer service anywhere. Calling their tech line is the way find out about their kits and their capabilities.
And like said by many folks, you get what you pay for.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am

oh I love summit, im just talking about theres got to be more to it then just bolt it on and you have 425 hp. and brainstain im broke lol, was just always curious about these kits, the first thing im gonna get when I get the money free is seatbelts lol.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 am

Wasn't trying to imply it was a shady deal just incomplete info. It would be good if companies that sold these kits listed the individual part #'s for the components that make them up so customers can look up the spec's. The thing that caught my eye is the lack of the head gaskets & rocker arms. I'm sure they can recommend the correct parts that are not included but I thought it was kind of cheesy that they left out some critical stuff in that kit. You certainly can't install heads without gaskets. For the most part you do save some money when you purchase a "kit" or package versus buying all the individual parts separately.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm

The ZZ383 out of GM puts down 425HP and costs much more than $1400... I think 425HP with just a top end kit is most likely the very best case scenario with a specific bottom end. Not shady, just creative marketing. Smile
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 pm

425 is a LOT of power for a small block. The problem I see with that kind of power, in say a 350, is the driveability issues. Street manners are important also. Lumpy cam that idles at 1000 plus RPM etc....
The 383 can do it with better street manners I would think. That longer stroke changes a lot of things....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 pm

yea, think im just gona stick to my plans and save for a big block.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down