G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bench seat covers

5 posters

Go down

Bench seat covers Empty Bench seat covers

Post by Lovett Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Has anyone used the seat covers offered by the Parts Place for a 1973 Chevelle. They are the only supplier I could find that even listed them but their website doesn't show pictures and I want the original look & quality,

Lovett
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Bench seat covers Empty Re: Bench seat covers

Post by pila Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I used the bench seat covers from NPD on my '75 Elco.

Here's the bench part..
Bench seat covers P1011088

Here's the same covers in my Malibu..
Bench seat covers P1010921

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:13 am

Search Golden Eagle Classics too. They have the PUI covers.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovett Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for the info and pictures. I was told the el camino seat is different, the 73 chevelle uses two types of vinyl pattern, no arm rest or chrome side strip, and has 4 buttons across the back. Not trying to be picky just original. If I can find them I'll post the photos.

Lovett
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 am

Dont know about the elcos but no arm rest in 73 chevelle benches. I believe the arm rest started in 74. Is it possible that you dont have a 73 bench?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Bench seat covers Empty seat covers

Post by alleyball4 Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I spent about a year doing research on the bench seat covers on a 73 before I pulled the trigger.

What I found is that the PUI seat covers are a little thicker mil than the OPG, The Parts Place, ss396, National Parts Depot and Dixie Monte Carlo. The problem though, with the PUI covers, is that you cannot buy direct, but you have to go through a PUI dealer.

Also, you are correct, the 73 did NOT have a center arm rest.

I am in the middle of a frame-off restoration on mine, but I will send pictures when I can.

If you have the funds, there is a company in California, that can custom make seat covers off your old ones, and use whatever material you want. I can give you their phone number if you need it. I priced them with leather, and it was almost 3 times the price of vinyl.

If all of us with these keep contacting these suppliers with requests for the 73-77 parts, maybe they will start reproducing them.

hope this info helps ... good luck
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm

The seat bottom & back rests I pictured are from my '77 that I had to scrap. The '75 body is the one I'm using for my Caddy powered project. It didn't have a seat with it.
The Malibu is a '74, and seat is original.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovett Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks alleyball, I commend you for spending all that time and appreciate you sharing what you learned. In the meantime I decided to let a local shop recreate the original pattern and recover both seats. He's been around a long time and I saw a Lincon with suicide doors he restored was very detailed. I didn't ask for a price but he has an honest reputation here. Plus most kits are 400-500 plus shipping plus installation so I'm prepared for up to 1k. I'll post pictures and prices once completed.

Lovett
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:33 pm

sounds good
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member