G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Hanneman RIP

+4
fishhead
JiMi_DRiX
dynchel
Sleddogg
8 posters

Go down

Jeff Hanneman RIP Empty Jeff Hanneman RIP

Post by Sleddogg Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 am

There are three things I love most in this life.

My family, Cool Cars and Heavy Metal.

Jeff Hanneman, guitarist from Slayer died yesterday at age 49.
It's important to me to mention this.
I don't expect everyone to know of him or appreciate his work, but thanks to this forum to allow me to get it off my chest.

This quote says it best...

Metal writer Ian Christe attempted to explain Hanneman's importance on the blog of Christe's publishing house, Bazillion Points. "Sorry, I can’t summon better words now to summarize what we all feel about surrendering one of the ten most important heavy metal figures of all time. I hope the general media understands how important this loss is. Not that it matters, except that Jeff Hanneman’s name deserves to be lit up in neon, pressed into hard black memory, and carved into stone for the sake of the future galactic visitors who find our Earth in ruins."

Thankfully I got to see him play one last time a few years ago...thanks for the riffs Jeff.
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Jeff Hanneman RIP Empty Re: Jeff Hanneman RIP

Post by WyldeBill66 Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 am

I heard about this just today. While not a huge Slayer fan, I did enjoy their music at times. A great loss to his family, friends and fans I'm sure. So sad to lose one so young...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm a fan of pretty much all music, however when its windows down chevelle crusing weather a little slayer at high volume is just what the doctor ordered, followed by rage against the machine. this is a great loss, along the lines of when randy rhodes died. RIP. <?>
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun May 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Hanneman wrote all of the best Slayer songs. Growing up, Slayer was one of the band I listened to a lot for a while. I got to see them in 06 or 07. Good times. There is a hell of a metal band up there in heaven right now! ha.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun May 05, 2013 6:31 pm

I have to admit I still like some Slayer tunes even at my ripe old age.I can't help but wonder if the spider toxins finished off a damaged liver.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed May 08, 2013 4:37 am

Yeah i'm going to miss the man, great band. Been listening to Slayer since my high school years and still pissin' off the neighbors. I'm sure he's South Of Heaven rippin' it up. \m/ Mad \m/
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

If I believed in all that, I'd say that Randy Rhoads would join him on guitar, Jon Bonham on drums, Cliff Burton on Bass, and Dave Williams on vocals...Drowning Pool by the way...

I'm 47, and I still love Heavy Metal. I grew up with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica...etc...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Listening to Warlock.. East meets west right now
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 pm

My favorite slayer song of all time is "Crionics" from show no mercy. The dualing guitar solo in the middle of that song is fully metal. And to think that they were only in their late teens and early twenties while performing it gives credit to slayer's abilities at the time.

I must say however that Slayer ran out of steam at seasons of the abyss, not to say they were not still talented just that the songs and lyrics became humdrum and repetative after 1990. Show no mercy was their crowning achievement. I feel that all the great thrash albums were recorded by 1986.

As to the best metal band in Hades??

I'd say that with Hanneman on Rythim and Lyrics, Dimebag on lead, Cliff burton on bass, Jon Bonham could be put on drums I guess. And IMHO the greatest thrash singer of all time Paul Baloff from Exodus on vocals. His work on Bonded by Blood was remarkable. It was said he was to much for the stage he would often jump off the stage and tear peoples shirts off for wearing what he felt was a poser music group shirt to his show, then he'd tie the shirt into ribbons on his arms.

Hanneman will be missed, I can only imagine how the band must feel, and if and when and who can stand up for guitar for slayer, He'd better have a dang good pedigree.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down