G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pontiac in a chevy? Swap questions

5 posters

Go down

Pontiac in a chevy? Swap questions Empty Pontiac in a chevy? Swap questions

Post by 74barnfind Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Well, my small block is getting to be quite boring. I have access to a pretty stout Pontiac 455 for almost absolutely nothing. Now, My question is- What would it take to put this in my Chevelle? I know some A-bodies came with Pontiac motors, so would mounts and such work? I know I need a BOP T350.

Help! -Sean
74barnfind
74barnfind
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Pontiac in a chevy? Swap questions Empty Re: Pontiac in a chevy? Swap questions

Post by Limey SE Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm

you can keep the TH350 from the chevy just make sure it can handle all the extra torque being thrown at it ( by adding a plate from summit BOP Adapter plate ) to let the chevy trans bolt up to the 455. Will need the BBP mounts, exhaust manifolds ( or headers ) and the starter from the 455 and prob a better Radiator / fan set up
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 am

You have been gifted with a free 455? There are those of us out there who would go to great lengths to get such a thing. Been looking for a 455 for a looong time. 455's don't have the weird early/late motor mount bolt hole issues as the 400's so they will go into just about anything, snag some motor mounts from a Lemans or similar chassis and some Poncho engine brackets. You can run an adapter plate to use your chevy TH350 but honestly, BOP TH400's are pretty common. Takes a little more horsies to turn them, but you won't even miss it with the 455.

Prepare to enter the world of Monster Torque. Smile

I love Pontiac motors.
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat May 25, 2013 12:06 am

The 455 is going to eat the th350. You need a 400
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 am

The 350 wont hold up if it has a lot of miles on it. The direct clutch seems to be the first thing to fail, by slipping. A shift kit in a fresh 350, like a Transgo, will apply more pressure on the clutch pistons, making it live a lot longer, and have positive shifts for less clutch wear.
Of course a TH400 is one tough transmission, and a no brainer for survival behind a big block.
It does present more work to do though, like a different yoke on the drive shaft, and a different length etc, an electric kick-down switch is required also.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74barnfind Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Well... the t350 has 45,000 on it, and the car definitely won't be hooking up... think it'll last a little? and what would i need converter wise? (to bolt up to the pontiac's flywheel, not worried about stall speed as i have that pretty much figured out)
74barnfind
74barnfind
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I would use a stock converter on that combo, if you want to take it easy on that transmission....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down