G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rake and tire size

4 posters

Go down

Rake and tire size Empty Rake and tire size

Post by Dinomyte Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm

When i bought my '77 it had a pair of 235/75/15s (yes truck tires) on the back and 215/70/15s or 225/70/15s on the front. It had a nice stance. Now I'm working on a set of early 80's Camaro 5 spoke aluminum rims (15x7 w/ 4" Backspacing) and plan to put BF Goodrich Radial T/A 255/60/15s on the front, and 255/70/15s on the back.

The car is a weekend driver, just for fun. Gets between 2000 and 3000 miles a year.

I want to keep enough clearance to install side pipes, but that's later on.

I've got two questions.

1. Is it possible to put too big a tire on the back or too small a tire on the front and get strange handling characteristics?

2. Anybody got suggestions, something I didn't think of when I made these choices?

Thanks

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Rake and tire size Empty Re: Rake and tire size

Post by switchbiker Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:35 pm

anytime you raise the rear of the car it will decrease caster making the car handle different and could cause the front tires to wear a little more on the outside edges.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Go with a 60 series tire on the rear. Maybe a 255 or 275 60. Are 255 70 even still available?

Last edited by ant7377 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:58 pm

I will mention that a 255 tire will be a bit wide for a seven inch wheel. It will fit, but it will bulge a bit on the side walls. I have 245/60/15 on 8.5 inch wheels (rear) and 215/60/15 on seven inch wheels (front) and I have side pipes.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:34 pm

switchbiker wrote:anytime you raise the rear of the car it will decrease caster making the car handle different and could cause the front tires to wear a little more on the outside edges.

This I knew I just don't know how much of a difference it will be?  Am I going to notice it while driving or after 1500miles I see the results on the tires?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm

dynchel wrote:I will mention that a 255 tire will be a bit wide for a seven inch wheel.  It will fit, but it will bulge a bit on the side walls.  I have 245/60/15 on 8.5 inch wheels (rear)  and 215/60/15 on seven inch wheels (front) and I have side pipes.

Thanks Dynchel, BFG says they will fit but I guess they feel a bit of bulge is OK.   We'll see what they look like, what the tire shop says too.

I must say your side pipes are what have made me decide to do this, them and my uncle had a '69 Galaxy with side pipes back in the 70s.  I can't remember the car other than it had side pipes and the warning every time "they're hot don't touch."

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make multiple replies in one post.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Yeah, if you hit a bare leg on them you will have a burn to remind you to be more carefull next time. Only other issue was my daughter used to use them as side steps (like the tubular ones on my truck) I always liked side pipes but my inspiration was a nice black '76/'77 Malibu classic that was in my neighborhood in the '80's. It had cragers and side pipes (and "it's show time") lettered on the trunk lid.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 am

Dinomyte wrote:
switchbiker wrote:anytime you raise the rear of the car it will decrease caster making the car handle different and could cause the front tires to wear a little more on the outside edges.

This I knew I just don't know how much of a difference it will be?  Am I going to notice it while driving or after 1500miles I see the results on the tires?
depending on how much you raise the rear you should be able to compensate for the decrease in caster by adding some shim to the rear of the upper control arm mount. I'd say under normal driving you'd barely notice it if uncorrected and only driving between 2k and 3k miles a year the tires will begine to dry rot before they get worn to a critical tread depth. Your tires tread should last 10+ years with that small amount of driving.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 am

Caster being out of spec will not wear out the tires, it will affect handling characteristics though.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks guys. That's very helpfull. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member