G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!!

+3
driveit
bracketchev1221
Joe73
7 posters

Go down

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! Empty I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!!

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:36 am

Since my malibu was a "family heirloom" that my inlaws bought new in 1976, I was struggling with the idea of the color.  My wife and I decided that this car would be for my stepson.  But he didn't want to upset grandma and was adamant that the car stay yellow. (he's 11).  So anyway, my wife and I were both thinking of 70 Chevelle Fathom blue for this car.  Well, we went to grandma's house this past weekend and my wife threw it out there with my stepson sitting there.  She asked her mom, what she thought about painting the car blue.  And her face lit up.  "Your father always wanted a blue one, but it was what was available on the lot."  He wanted to change it to blue but it took so much work and he couldn't tie the car up that long, he kept it yellow.  My mother in law even said she used to have to drop him off a block away from the steel mill so people didn't see him get out of a yellow car.  So when I start on the body, the new color will be Fathom Blue.  I wanted the 70 SS stripes in white too, but my wife is unsure of that.  Oh well, 1 decision at a time. Thumbs up
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! Empty Re: I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!!

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 am

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! IMG_20130615_122809_916_zpscb1272a1
this should give you a idea of what it would look like.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! Empty Re: I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!!

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks, I'll show her the picture. She has agreed to white pinstripes like you have on the sides, just not the hood and trunk stripes yet. Wait till I tell her about the cowl hood too.  Shocked 

I would ultimately like a 2" fiberglass hood. So far I think I have found fiberglass 4" and steel 2".
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:08 am

The color should be similiar also as i believe it was a '72 color for GM cars. mulistane blue if i remember correctly.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:10 am

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! IMG_20131023_151705_309_zpsdb295b38.
Heres my custom hood treatment, '67 gran sport 400 hood scoops.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 am

Here's some BLUE paint when I did it in 1989.  11 coats of lacquer. Good shot of the L88 too.

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! 69ferq

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! 2u6iwck
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm

My wife has a 2013 Dodge Journey and it is Fathom Blue Metallic. It is much darker. To me it looks navy, but when the light hits it you can see a hint of green. Wonder if it was supposed be the same color of if it just shares the name. It looks like this one.
I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! 9k=
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:37 pm

I think it might be close. I tried to post a picture of the color, but I can't use photobucket here at work. It is a fairly dark blue that I picked.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm

I really like it. I thought about painting mine that color.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm

dynchel wrote:I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! IMG_20131023_151705_309_zpsdb295b38.
Heres my custom hood treatment, '67 gran sport 400 hood scoops.

That looks awesome. Congrats on the blessing
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks, for the compliment but its not me who got the mother in laws blessing (I honestly could care less what she thinks) its bracketchev1221
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

dynchel wrote:(I honestly could care less what she thinks)

Sounds like there's some good stories in there...Smile

Those did come out very nice, though, BTW.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 pm

Thank you, if I'm lucky the hood will get painted this year. (You ever price paint? Its not cheap!)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:02 pm

dynchel wrote:Thank you, if I'm lucky the hood will get painted this year. (You ever price paint? Its not cheap!)

The only time my wife ever said a word about the cost was when she was with me when I picked up the 2 gallons of Candy red paint. She had got the Jam paint for me the week before so she had a clue how much it could be as she picked up 2 Qts for me. I told her $1062.00 (back in 2009). She said "I don't get it" When I pulled it out of the shop and the neighbors were all checking it out she walked around to the side the sun was shining on it and said "Now I get it".

Here is what she was looking at. The guys next door were laughing so I had to take a photo. The photo does not do it justice at all

I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! <a href=I got the mother in laws blessing to paint the car!!!!! Img_2710" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

I still don't know how they justify the price of paint.  The last car I (had) painted (my '60 olds in '07) cost $1200.00 for the initial batch, then we needed another quart of the main "red" color, plus additional clear. Mad it makes macco sound like a viable option.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down