G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Questions

+4
chevellelaguna
driveit
dynchel
Mcarlo77
8 posters

Go down

Dash Questions Empty Dash Questions

Post by Dinomyte Sun May 25, 2014 8:51 am

I think I've read every article here about installing dash pads and decided that's not the option for me.

I've located a blue '75 non a/c dash, not sure what's all there as more pics haven't been sent yet, but wondering what do I need to be looking for?

I want to replace the cracked, POS I currently call a dash pad with this one if it's nice enough.

I know I can paint it, but would like suggestions on what product to use.

Are there any differences I need to be looking for?

The rest of my dash is fine except for the cut out for a digital clock in the clock face, just the pad on top is a mess, but figure if this is out of the car already it's more likely to get the complete treatment and be as close to perfect as I'm willing to go.

enjoy,.
Dino
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Dash Questions Empty Re: Dash Questions

Post by dynchel Sun May 25, 2014 8:55 am

Does your car have air conditioning?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 25, 2014 9:49 am

As Dynchel mentioned, the only difference between A/C and non-A/C dash itself is the lack of air vents above the glove box area (non-A/C). Of course, the underdash vent ducts that run side to side will be missing on this non-A/C dash, but you can easily swap yours over if you have the A/C dash.

There is also the issue of the name badge above the glove box. '73 has the rectangular badge mounted on the surface of the dash and '74-'77 have the square badge that's indented into the dash.

As for painting, Wally (Wallyup) has posted some detailed info in the past on what prods to use and how to prep the surface. Check the archives or PM him. He's the master of interior work!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun May 25, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks guys - I don't have a/c (forgot to mention that), and this is a non-a/c dash.

This means the only real question is what condition is the dash in.

thanks
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun May 25, 2014 10:15 am

If you paint a cap, there is a primer type stuff to use on it before painting.  I have two caps that came out OK for me.  They are not very difficult to install over the old dash.

This is my Malibu, and the Elco is identical.   NPD has factory colors in paint for the vinyl.

Dash Questions P1011277_zpsf8dcbe99

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun May 25, 2014 11:14 am

Painting interior plastic pieces and our vinyl dashes is easier than ever. The products available are drastically better than 15 years ago. I do recommend SEM interior vinyl dye. However I'm not sure it's available in aerosol spray cans. I used this in my Laguna years ago and it held up extremely well. The products are so much better now that I think any interior dye will work great. However it's the prep work that's important. I know duplicolor has a good dye as well.
You want to thoroughly clean what you're going to dye. When you think it's clean enough... Clean it again. Want to remove as much of the silicones and waxes that have been applied over the years. Simple green works well for this then follow up with a wax and grease remover. Then when it's thoroughly dry, you can spray the color dye. Really light coats, don't lay it on thick.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 pm

SEM is available in rattle cans, I used landau black on my seats...looks OE.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun May 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks again - SEM is what I've got. Any steps between cleaning and painting?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun May 25, 2014 12:47 pm

SEM sells a cleaner /conditioner you apply before painting.
Its called vinyl prep part # 38343

Last edited by dynchel on Sun May 25, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added details)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun May 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Just a good degreaser (wax and grease remover) then use that SEM pre cleaner, and scuff with a grey scotch pad, then wipe with a tack cloth and then paint!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue May 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks guys - I'll let you know what comes of this, still waiting to get some pics before making the drive. Just want to know that the pad isn't all cracked up like mine is.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Wallyuph wrote:I have dealt with this problem for years. Bull dog is better then no adhesion promoter at all but still lifted in spots. I even have sprayed with regular PPG base coat and cleared the plastic with Auto clear and a flattening agent in it the clear and it was still popping up. I now use SEM all there products from start to finish. I get my products from my local Orielly’s auto store.

Check out the technical data sheet on this page for instruction I have touched on below.
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/flexible-coatings/color-coat/

Here are the steps I use.
Handling and Application
PREPARATION: Vinyl:
1. Clean first with 39362 SEM SOAP and a gray scuff pad.
2. Rinse with water and dry. If contamination still exists, water will bead on the surface. Repeat
this step until beading no longer occurs.
3. Clean thoroughly with 38343 VINYL PREP using a clean lint free towel and wiping in one
direction.
4. Rinse with water and dry.
Plastic:
1. Clean first with 39362 SEM SOAP and a gray scuff pad.
2. Rinse with water and dry. If contamination still exists, water will bead on the surface. Repeat
this step until beading no longer occurs.
3. Clean with 38353 PLASTIC/LEATHER PREP.
4. To promote adhesion on ABS, PVC and other similar plastics, apply a medium wet coat of
38363 SAND FREE. COLOR COAT should be applied while 38363 is still wet. As the
38363 evaporates, the COLOR COAT is drawn into the surface creating excellent adhesion.
-ORTo promote adhesion on TPO, EPDM, PP and other similar thermoplastics, use 39863
PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER or 77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER.
TECH TIP: If the type of plastic is unknown, place a drop of acetone on the back of the plastic and rub
it with your finger. If the plastic smears and melts, use 38363 SAND FREE for your adhesion
promoter. If acetone does not have an affect on the plastic, use
39863 PLASTIC ADHESION
PROMOTER or 77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER.

Then top coat with light coats of SEM Color of your choice.

39362 SEM SOAP
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/prep-products/scuff-and-clean/
is specifically designed as a first step cleaner for all repair and refinishing procedures.

77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/specialty-products/xxx/xxx-adhesion-promoter/

39863 PLASTIC ADHESION
PROMOTER
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue May 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Lots of good advice here  Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue May 27, 2014 9:31 pm

With that much information Wallyuph I think I can make it perfect. Now all I need is to get it . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 am

I want to see that when its done.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat May 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Well I picked up the dash today.

It's not is nice as was promised.

Dash Questions <a href=Dash Questions Dsc02213" />

Yes there is a speedometer and other gauges in the dash, everything's there except the glove box.

Dash Questions Dsc02214

Dash Questions Dsc02215

That's the damage on it.  I'm wondering if anyone's got ideas for the single speaker in the middle, and the crack.  Even in this state it's better looking than the dash pad I've got.

I figure there's at least all the vents, switches and the lens for the clock, and I can put my stereo in the dash rather than the glove box, not to mention other parts.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat May 31, 2014 8:52 pm

You can fill the hole with body filler sand it smooth prime that area and re drill the holes in it, then dye the whole thing, be barely visible, I would leave the cracks alone, they don't look too bad.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 am

guys Guys doesn't anyone remember the Blue Collar Buick how to on Dash repair ??

http://www.spike.com/episodes/yijpgz/powerblock-muscle-car-blue-collar-buick-interior-and-payoff-season-4-ep-114#respond
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Not enough padding on those dashes to really matter much. I still believe a dash cap is the way to go.
I believe the original idea of a padded dash was because it was softer then metal when someone's head hit it ! No seat belts when the padded stuff came along.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Limey wrote:guys Guys doesn't anyone remember the Blue Collar Buick how to on Dash repair ??  

http://www.spike.com/episodes/yijpgz/powerblock-muscle-car-blue-collar-buick-interior-and-payoff-season-4-ep-114#respond

I've watched the whole things twice but there is no mention of what the product on the dash is.  Anybody know?

thanks,
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:57 pm

yes, I just noticed they didn't list it at the bottom of the episodes like they used to.....
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Here watch this and look at there other videos. On Dye/ paint  here. http://www.semproducts.com/how-to-videos/

It looked like SEM paint to me from the side of the can.

I don't know if they showed what they used for texture as the video kept freezing up on me. After you fill the cracks and are read for paint I use Rock guard in a medium texture . I buy 3M 05911 and it matches the factory texture on the panels or dashes. You can paint over it with your color then.
Dash Questions <a href=Dash Questions Mmm05910" />

Key is follow all the prep and adhesive promoters.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down