G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine troubles

+5
driveit
bracketchev1221
pila
chevellelaguna
Joe73
9 posters

Go down

Engine troubles Empty Engine troubles

Post by driveit Thu May 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Still running my tired 350 that has never been rebuilt from 74 with the 350 tranny as well. I am about to drop in a different motor or do some work to this one. I will hopefully make the final decision this Saturday. The old girl seems sick. It is backfiring through the carb under accell and has lost an extremely noticeable amount of power. Its really feeling like I dropped in a 4 cylinder instead of a v8. I still sounds good, but the engine seems to shutter when driving. Have you ever driven a standard shift car and been going to slow for the gear that you were in. That feeling is what I have been feeling in the last week once it shifts into drive.

Any tips or thoughts on the issue?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Engine troubles Empty Re: Engine troubles

Post by Joe73 Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Backfire tbrough the.carb is.usually a.timing issue. Id remove plu #1 put your finger.over te hole and have someone bump the starter.till compression blows your finger off. You should.be.close.to.tdc. then pull the dist. Cap and see how close it is to the #1 terminal. Then look at your timing mark on the harmonic and tab. Should be close to.each otber. Your car should have tne original timing bears made of.plastic. you probably jumped a tooth.or.the chain is real.slack. those teeth break off and get.caught.in the oil pump screen. Thats my bet.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu May 29, 2014 2:56 pm

It could be the nylon gear of the timing chain as was said, or it could be the cam going flat. But either way, its sick. Start looking at the tune up basics then go into compression tests and valve movements etc. What are your engine options? This one would have to come out and be rebuilt.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu May 29, 2014 3:11 pm

I am wanting to rebuild one to put in, but for now just need this one to keep plugging along while I build the other one.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 pm

First step, check the timing and then do a compression test.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu May 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Will do. Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 pm

I have a drop in set up for you if you are interested. Its a 350/350 set up with 8000 miles on it. Its literally a turn the key after hooking up the lines to it. Even a working A/C compressor.

Make me a offer if you want it. I want to get rid of it before I buy some thing else that needs a engine and trany and then I'll end up dumping more money into what ever that would be.

Engine troubles <a href=Engine troubles Old_en10" />

Engine troubles <a href=Engine troubles Old_en11" />

Want to here it run
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Nice Wally!

Driveit
As said- check timing.  Check your plugs too- often they'll give you a clue as to what (if anything) is going on in the combustion chamber.  It can also be something with the distributor assembly.  How is your carb working?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu May 29, 2014 9:44 pm

A compression test will tell a lot. An intake valve that isn't opening all the way, for example, can have a lean mix on that cylinder, causing a back fire, if that cam lobe is gone.

I kinda doubt that the timing is an issue, since many engines on the road don't have the timing set right, and can still run smooth.
And, it wont run if the timing chain has skipped a tooth on a failed plastic cam sprocket. I've been through that on Chevys, Pontiacs, and even Caddys, since GM used those plastic sprockets on everything.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu May 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Man I really want that motor and trans Wally!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri May 30, 2014 11:44 am

OK I am seriously trying to get the cash. Selling everything I can think of! I sent a PM to you Wally about the deal.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri May 30, 2014 1:20 pm

We will make this happen for you chris. Don't worry about the funds just figure out how to get here and pick it up. Everyone needs a break ounce in awhile and this time its your turn.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Wow, it doesn't get any better than that.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm

No it does not. I forget sometimes how blessed I am. Things like this happen and you don't know how to thank people. All I can say is God bless Wally! Was that a tear? No, I was working on the water pump and... alright, well thanks Wally!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri May 30, 2014 3:16 pm

That is awesome.

But while you're in a generous mood, Wally, those electric seats are really nice... Very Happy
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri May 30, 2014 3:42 pm

thatfnthing wrote:That is awesome.

But while you're in a generous mood, Wally, those electric seats are really nice... Very Happy

sorry its just the take outs or off's that are going guys. Its just nice to pay it forward ounce in a while. Just think what the world could be like if we all did this every now and then.

I do have a stock gas tank that is used if any one wants that. does not leak but fuel sender is off and 1/4 tank its empty. Don't ask how I know that one. Pick up only free
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri May 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Way to go Wally !!  That's how to build good karma . Thumbs up
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

I bet St. Peter has a good list on you- beats Santa's list by a mile (Getting into the Pearly Gates that is).  Nice work Mr. Wallyup, you're a generous soul.

+1 & then some.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down