G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Paint and Body Questions

+4
thatfnthing
JB2wheeler
driveit
dynchel
8 posters

Go down

General Paint and Body Questions Empty General Paint and Body Questions

Post by driveit Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

I saw Oldschool454 was talking recently about a single stage paint. Does this mean that you don't clear over it? I am assuming this is a cheaper route to go, if so I am interested. My question is, does a single stage have any advantages or disadvantages?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

General Paint and Body Questions Empty Re: General Paint and Body Questions

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:04 am

Basically, single stage is a little easier since you can get the job done with less applications. If you want metallic paint, then you have to go 2 stage (basecoat/clearcoat). Because if you shoot metallic in single stage, when you go to buff it, you will be buffing the metal flakes and you'll get a speckle like appearance. With metallics you want to buff the clear not the color.
With single stage its just color. So shoot, let it set up the required time then sand and buff to your liking.
Some guys do clear over a single stage paint if you want to go with a higher gloss clear. Clears come in a variety of qualities and gloss factors.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 am

just don't do this...
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm

If you want to use normal quart paint you get at the big box stores, you can. Just visit their airless sprayer department and pick up some Flotrol (water based paints) or they have another product for enamel based paints. You ad it to the paint and you can brush or roller it on and it self levels. Works great when I have to paint cabinet doors and such. No brush or roller marks what so ever.
I wouldnt go that way but it can be done.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:51 pm

There are lots of videos on you tube about painting cars with rustoleam. Some people claim to have had real good results. I would not paint a car i care about that way, but would be curious to try it on a beater. I guess all you do is thin the paint with acetone and spray it on (obviously it would need prepped just like any paint job)

dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Joe73 wrote:Basically, single stage is a little easier since you can get the job done with less applications.  If you want metallic paint, then you have to go 2 stage (basecoat/clearcoat).  Because if you shoot metallic in single stage, when you go to buff it, you will be buffing the metal flakes and you'll get a speckle like appearance.  With metallics you want to buff the clear not the color.
With single stage its just color.  So shoot, let it set up the required time then sand and buff to your liking.  
Some guys do clear over a single stage paint if you want to go with a higher gloss clear.  Clears come in a variety of qualities and gloss factors.
My paint actually is a silver metallic single stage, but I've never buffed it. It gets kept pretty clean though so I don't see the need to. Had I paid more than I did I would be too worried about getting scratches and nicks. I guess that's another advantage of going with the cheaper single stage. If I had gone basecoat/clear I think it was an extra $150.00. Still not bad though. Just depends what you want.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I want to paint mine, but I need it done cheap for now. Once I get in a better spot and get a garage I am doing a full frame off and will worry about doing something nice and fixing everything the right way.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 pm

driveit wrote:I want to paint mine, but I need it done cheap for now.  Once I get in a better spot and get a garage I am doing a full frame off and will worry about doing something nice and fixing everything the right way.
I have been waiting to get in a "better spot" since I was 16 years old and have not got there yet. I was born before Pearl Harbor. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Every one of us here are just doing the best with what rescources we have. Time, money, space, energy...Hell, if you have to just paint it outside. I've seen it done, and done well to be honest. And when I say "done well" I know people are thinking,"what's his idea of well?" I know I don't have the same high standards as some people on here with $2000plus, show ready, 10 mile deep paint jobs but take it for whatever it's worth to you I guess. lol
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:Every one of us here are just doing the best with what rescources we have. Time, money, space, energy...Hell, if you have to just paint it outside. I've seen it done, and done well to be honest. And when I say "done well" I know people are thinking,"what's his idea of well?" I know I don't have the same high standards as some people on here with $2000plus, show ready, 10 mile deep paint jobs but take it for whatever it's worth to you I guess. lol

Dude, where are you that you can get a show ready, 10 mile deep paint job for $2000.00?  'Cuz sign me up!  The quote I got to do my car with a simple pearl (outside only, no jambs or insides of the lids) is $3500-$4000, and I thought that was a decent price! Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Ive done quite a few total paint jobs outside and tbey came out great. Just have.to take time, keep stuff clean and mix.your paint properly with the correct.reducer or thinner according to temperature.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
Oldschool454 wrote:Every one of us here are just doing the best with what rescources we have. Time, money, space, energy...Hell, if you have to just paint it outside. I've seen it done, and done well to be honest. And when I say "done well" I know people are thinking,"what's his idea of well?" I know I don't have the same high standards as some people on here with $2000plus, show ready, 10 mile deep paint jobs but take it for whatever it's worth to you I guess. lol

Dude, where are you that you can get a show ready, 10 mile deep paint job for $2000.00?  'Cuz sign me up!  The quote I got to do my car with a simple pearl (outside only, no jambs or insides of the lids) is $3500-$4000, and I thought that was a decent price! Smile
oops...there's supposed to be another zero after that 2000. lol!
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Tell you what we're gettin ready to paint my dad's 76 laguna in a couple weeks in my garage with a cheap single stage paint job. I can post a bunch of pics of it when we're done and tell you what we spent and you can decide for yourself if it's something you want to persue...
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm

My self I wanted to try that Rustoleum Paint sprayed with gun. And see how it turns out.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:34 am

I have done a couple of outdoor driveway paint jobs myself with good success.  Being a former body guy in my younger years (A long time ago) I can honestly say quality jobs are in the prep. No short cuts. Get your panels flat, lots of sanding, primer, sanding, primer, guide coat, sanding, clean and spray sealer.  

Spraying the car is easy with the right technique, compressor/regulator/ gun set up.

I've done many acrylic enamel single stage paint jobs where any surface imperfection can be color sanded and buffed. Most base clears are very forgiving too.

The Rustoleum jobs can look good too short term, but don't offer the UV protection most quality automotive paints have and break down over time.

If you do it yourself, you are already saving money.. Buy the right equipment and quality products.

Most of all, practice first!
BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 am

BK-75 wrote:I have done a couple of outdoor driveway paint jobs myself with good success.  Being a former body guy in my younger years (A long time ago) I can honestly say quality jobs are in the prep. No short cuts. Get your panels flat, lots of sanding, primer, sanding, primer, guide coat, sanding, clean and spray sealer.  

Spraying the car is easy with the right technique, compressor/regulator/ gun set up.

I've done many acrylic enamel single stage paint jobs where any surface imperfection can be color sanded and buffed. Most base clears are very forgiving too.

The Rustoleum jobs can look good too short term, but don't offer the UV protection most quality automotive paints have and break down over time.

If you do it yourself, you are already saving money.. Buy the right equipment and quality products.

Most of all, practice first!
YES. ^ lol
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down