G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aluminum radiators

+7
Wallyuph
pila
JB2wheeler
dynchel
Joe73
bracketchev1221
thatfnthing
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aluminum radiators - Page 2 Empty Re: Aluminum radiators

Post by driveit Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Lots of good info. Thanks. So this is a 350 hp engine. Do you think the 205 is good then or should I would to get it down a bit?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm

I'd run a 180 in there. Especially if your using your rad with the internal trans cooler. If I remember correctly, every 5 minutes of your trans fluid being 215 or higher shortens the life of your trans by 30 or 50 percent. High temps kill auto trannies.
180 will give you good heat, keep the engine happy and your trans fluid happy.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Joe73 wrote:I'd run a 180 in there.  Especially if your using your rad with the internal trans cooler.  If I remember correctly, every 5 minutes of your trans fluid being 215 or higher shortens the life of your trans by 30 or 50 percent.  High temps kill auto trannies.  
And run a external cooler in conjunction with the OE cooler.  My separate trans cooler gets hot enough to burn you...and that's after it already went through the factory cooler.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm

dynchel wrote:
Joe73 wrote:I'd run a 180 in there.  Especially if your using your rad with the internal trans cooler.  If I remember correctly, every 5 minutes of your trans fluid being 215 or higher shortens the life of your trans by 30 or 50 percent.  High temps kill auto trannies.  
And run a external cooler in conjunction with the OE cooler.  My separate trans cooler gets hot enough to burn you...and that's after it already went through the factory cooler.

DEFINITELY!! Fluid should go through your rad and THEN through an external cooler. I like the B&M stacked plate design.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:00 pm

I have a b&m cooler bought from super shops...lol remember them?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I have an new aluminum one with 1 big @$$ core & 1" tube.  When I broke in the motor it ran @ 210 with the pulley fan & two supplemental fans going @ 2-2500 rpm for 30 minutes.  After that when I ran the new carb @ idle (1500 rpm) for about 20 minutes to time & set the carb the motor ran @ 190.  I have a 160 degree thermostat on it now.  I might do the dual fan set up if it ends up running hot.  I thought I bought a 2 core  Embarassed
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:52 pm

This info is old and dated, but I bought a 4 row copper core radiator and it does not over heat. The reason, besides price, that I got it was back then there were some companies who would glue their aluminum radiators together instead of soldering and they would come unglued. I don't know if that problem still exists or not. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:05 pm

I will try and check the thermostat this weekend. I am just using the cooler in the radiator for the tranny. Don't have the cash for anything extra right now. I have no back brakes and can't even afford then as of yet. I will get there. It just takes time.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 pm

I have an aluminum radiator ( Champion ) that I bought off ebay. Works fine. It ran 175 degrees during the cam break-in, with a 180 thermostat. Still have the trans cooler in the radiator hooked up, but plan to bolt on an add-on cooler that I have, and run it in series .......

Heat is the mortal enemy of transmissions for sure..... Twisted Evil 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Found out that I was wrong it wasn't running at 205 it was 195.  I did see it hit around 200 or so in traffic the other day.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:54 pm

The 195 temp is normal these days, but partly for the emission controls to work, and gas mileage. A 180 temp would add a bit more power.......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 pm

driveit wrote:Found out that I was wrong it wasn't running at 205 it was 195.  I did see it hit around 200 or so in traffic the other day.

It has a 195 stat in it. I run that in all my rides as we end up in fall its cold up here. Plus I has over heating issues in my 56 chevy running a 160 stat. I radiator guy told me to run a 195 as it was flowing to fast and coolant did not get time to cool down before going back into block.( like running no stat) After I put the 195 in I have never had a over heating problem even with the A/C on in both cars. Drive-its engine and the 56 chevy I just sold.

Just my 2cents. Its your engine now you can do what you want. To me if its not broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks, Wally. It seems to be doing fine. I am just to happy with how it is doing I just wanted to make sure I was mistreating it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Wanted to help clarify a misnomer in this thread regarding thermostats and not meaning to step on any toes.  

Not running a thermostat does not change the time the coolant stays anywhere.  It is a closed balanced system that is pressurized by an increase in temperature and the flow rate of the water pump and the friction losses within the system.

The flow rate is constant as it is a function of the velocity of the coolant and the area (square inches, square centimeters or whatever) of each passage and is controlled by the water pump.

put a gallon through a straw = high velocity
put a gallon through a radiator hose = Lower velocity
either way a gallon gets through in the same amount of time in a closed system, it can't "back up" into itself.

Powerful water pumps keep cars cooler because the heat can be exchanged to the radiator quicker and more times per minute.

If a thermostat is a 180, the car cannot be running at 160.  Temps are measured at various places.   When temps are taken at the radiator, you could get a reading of 170 with a 180 stat, but if you took the temp in the cylinder head near cylinders 6 and 8, you'll likely see 190.  Take it in the water passage in the intake manifold, you'll get something else.

Running a thermostat generally increases the likelihood of a more stable or what is called "laminar" flow and help reduce air pockets.  Too smooth of a flow will create a middle zone of the flow that will not exchange heat as well as the edge of the flow.  The water passages being rough is a good thing as it create more surface area for heat exchange in the heads and block.

I prefer to not run a thermostat in my chevy motors, because it is one more thing to fail, but that is only because each of my cars are race ready and when a thermostat sticks open or shut, you will lose that round and go home early.  My Buick needs to operate at 160+ as it is computer controlled.  it is at the lower limit where the computer can compensate to help with detonation during turbo "activities".

For a street car, what has been said in the posts about proper operating temperature and moisture being removed from the crankcase, etc. is all correct.  Street cars should run a T'stat.  

For the racers out there, without a T-stat, I can enter the burnout box at whatever temp I want (strong electric fans).  Typically 160 on cool days and 170 on hot days (consistency is key and hard to get to 160 sometimes on hot days).  By the time the tree drops, the motor is at 180 (or 190) and then 1/4 mile later, crosses the stripe at 190 (or 200), every time. Almost every BBC makes its best power at 180 to 190 degrees.
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Excellent info!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:24 pm

Very well said. That makes perfect sense.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next