Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto

Post by impalamonte on Sat May 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Some new equipment this year. I think we all have been waiting out the weather to get back "at it".
This year I decided to add a methanol system to cool the intake charge from my supercharger. I did entertain an intercooler. And it would have been cool to see a  portion of big honkin' 5 " wide piece of pretty aluminum hanging below the radiator support on the front side.....But , IM RUNNING OUT OF ROOM...it seems. A couple of reasons I didn't intercool , room for all the piping and room for the intercooler as I have my front bumper tucked in.  Also , within my research , intercooler could restrict air flow to the intake thus reducing boost and potential heat sink. Methanol will cool my intake charge up to 120 degrees and will require maint.(replenishment of the liquid in tank). But now I can reduce the retard I was running to prevent pre-detonation. I'm sure some opinions will be voiced between both options. Price for booth intercooler and associated parts and methanol kit was mostly the same money.

Below are some pictures finished product. I installed the unit in the trunk . I have a controller that I installed in the dash in the position where the factory clock use to be. The controller has telemetry for fluid level in the tank , amount of boost produced , parameters to set injection start .

All equipment was installed onto a piece of quarter inch ABS board. Made a couple of brackets from old gas tank strap to hold it in place. Painted them. All wiring is loomed on the back side with a quick connection through a weatherpak connection as is the connection behind my dash for the controller.

Had to cut a hole in my trunk enclosure that I made last year as the container is 2.5 gallons. I could have as well installed the supplied 3 quart unit...but I wanted more capacity.

impalamonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 pm

As always, sir, you do impressive and professional work!
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Mon May 14, 2018 12:50 pm

FOLLOW TOM POUPA AKA GHOSTRIDER to the Dakota Illinois Car show June 2nd I WOULD BE HONORED TO HAVE your car there

Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:40 am

Hi all in G3 land. Been working for the last several weekends to get the car "road" ready for big miles.

Among the other things I had done to get it ready...mechanically myself. I opted this year to have a new vinyl roof professionally installed. I done the job myself in 2001. I made some rookie mistakes not being familiar with all the ins and outs of their profession. I think most of us are much like "practicing" doctors. They are still considered practicing.... after 20 years of service.

We are constantly learning !

Also , hard to decipher in this pic from yesterday. I installed 295/ 45 's on the rear. Rear spring compressed , I have 3/8" clearance between the sidewall and fender lip.

impalamonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Damn that looks sweet sir!
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 am

Looking good as always!
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks for the compliments guys !
impalamonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi guys ,

Last Dec. 2017 I ordered a Delphi 670 steering box ( 12.7:1) . Aug. 2018 , I still didn't have it as there was a back order issue as the manufacturer was having trouble getting parts from a vendor. All the major outlets to get it could not guarantee delivery if ordered. I went to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville in Aug. and Borgeson Steering was there. I noticed on the table being advertised a part# 800130 for 1965 and up GM. This is a new steering box internals / externals. It had been in development for 2 years before the release April 2018 and was created in response to demand. I had read enough posts in other forums about the hit and miss performance of rebuilt boxes and after reading enough , I knew it wasn't the route I wanted to go. Mainly , because the user's of rebuilt units were saying the rebuilt unit was not any better than what they had taken off. AND , we all know of that vague steering feeling on our cars. Drift...etc., moving the steering wheel and the car not responding.

I purchased the unit from JEGS with the rag joint for less $500.00 ( this also includes the O-ring to inverted flare adapters included in the box). I wanted to have some miles behind me before I reported my experience. THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST EXPENSES I HAVE OUTLAYED. This steering box tightens the whole driving experience! NO MORE moving the steering wheel an 1" and no response ! The feedback is truly a difference and driving is exceedingly more pleasurable. My frontend has been rebuilt with all new parts for years and this was the last piece to bring it all together.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1792&cat=0&featured=Y
impalamonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4