G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? Empty Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 pm

I know this topic has been beat to death. BUT...I've got a 73 nose/74 grille that came darn cheap. I'm thinking on swapping onto my 77 and the only reference I can find to somebody that's actually done it is here.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=10645&page=14    

According to that thread, you have to chop on the fenders and the nose to get it to fit on a 77. I don't want to beat up on my car or the nose.

I'm looking for anybody else that actually did it and had an easier time or if it was just as difficult.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? Empty Re: Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:30 pm

you DO NOT repeat DO NOT have to chop your fenders I put a 73/74 Nose on my 76 Malibu I had gotten the only real pain and works better with 2 people is getting the Laguna side fender bolts to line up at same time in the fender holes . You don't have to cut anything on fenders. You do have to have the "correct" 73 mounts for the nose though for it to work right, I think that's where the cutting actually came into play.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? Empty Re: Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Which mounts?

I've got the shocks and brackets already on the nose.

Have you got a pic of it on there?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 pm

let me find it Captain
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks> Hate to be a pain, but the El camino build made it look like it would be a bear.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm

No Worries buddy going thru photobucket now to find it
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 pm

these are the pins ( speed nut bolts ) I was referring to get lined up in the proper holes

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? 96891189-6041-47d4-ad98-05a4880ca813_zpsa0df4dc3
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks

Did you actually get it on the 76? Did it line up right or leave big gaps? The way that guy was talking there were some sort of braces he had to cut out of the fender and some ridges on the nose he had to file down...possible he just had a crappy nose?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 am

its very Possible Captain let me keep searching tomorrow with fresh brain and open eyes, Had a very long drive today and we took a spin off into ditch on black ice Wifey did great Job saving it but still went up on two wheels and slammed into ditch and my right arm took a beating haven't against seat belt bolt, bruised almost instantly ...............

You will need the 73 Hood brace ( center support for the nose ) the 75-76 nose didn't need them they were built into it, might be what he was talking about fabing up, Have not read that far yet......
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 am

Also the fender braces he was referring to might have been the under side crash bars ( may have been rusty and had to cut off ) again haven't gotten that far reading, I will tomm.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am

Here is a side shot and this was day I put it on wasn't tightened all the way

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? 00000010
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 am

crap that's the 76 nose let me keep digging LOL
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 am

Cool. I appreciate the effort.

BTW, when are you gonna drop the "Limey". Shouldn't you be "AnthonySE" or something? Ya ain't had a lime green anything for a looooog time. Ha.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 am

ALL right All right All right here we go Captain LMAO  

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? Gooneyliveson015

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? Gooneyliveson016
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 am

this was first day of install on the 76 Laguna that was crushed, I hadn't tightened anything up for I had to line up fenders and such
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am

So those gaps tightened up good when you were done?

Wasn't that the one that was in the garage that the snow killed?

AnthonySE...BlackSE...Oneof400...ILLINOISSE...ShevellE
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:11 am

It was LimeySE at one time might go back to it LOL

Yea that was the one from the Barn Collapse, And yes they tightened up once done, But you willdef need the center brace from the donar 73 Guna if you don't have it, That part you will have to fab up its holds the center in place. But like I mentioned the 75 76 nose had it built in the center section
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Better make sure your fenders are aligned (height wise) as there is no wiggle room (like a std from end)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Truth is, this is starting to look like a much bigger PITA than I thought. I'm just gonna stow the guna nose 'til later (or sell it) and keep the 74/75 front. I have an appointment with the paint guy in two weeks, so I'm just gonna have him blend in the buckets, then I'll tuck the bumper and cut the fillers back.

Thanks for the help Antonio.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I wanted a 'guns nose for years, could not fine one local. Now I can find them,(idk why now)  I am kinda liking the standard nose, especially since I got the '76 grille. (I never really liked the chrome 16 lb wantabe Mercedes grill all that much.) Hopefully this year I'll get that hood & fillers painted.

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? IMG_20141007_073912_zps1mxvfpj0
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I was just looking at your tuck post from a while back, dynch. That's what has convinced me to just keep the 74/75 combo.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Its amazing how just pulling the bumpers closer to the body makes such a difference.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Yep, looking at yours and Brian's, it makes a big difference. Really cleans up the look.

I got a good deal on the guna nose or I wouldn't even have considered it in the first place. I just figured I'd look into it since I had it anyway.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Its pretty easy to trim some fat out if the inner structure while you are at it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Did you take the bumper off of the shocks, then drill?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next