G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help please

4 posters

Go down

Need Help please Empty Need Help please

Post by Montina Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:37 am

How Do I delete this post? I meant to reply to someone elses post not to post one.

Last edited by Montina on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Montina
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Need Help please Empty Re: Need Help please

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:15 pm

First of all, welcome to the site.  I followed your posts on the Monte Carlo forum and have a little more background info than you stated here.  If I understand you correctly, you're still having problems with the car starting then stalling immediately (whether during cold startup or after running awhile and you shut it off,then try restarting.  It acts like it's flooding.  But, seems to run fine once you do get it running and it's warmed up.  Am I correct?

You mention many trips to a mechanic or mechanics to source the problem.  If you can be more specific as to what they've replaced or verified to be in good working order, perhaps we can help with the next step.  Personally, I'd start with the fuel delivery system.  I believe you've said the fuel pump has been replaced.  You had also mentioned the choke had gone bad a long time ago.  Was that ever replaced?  What about fuel filter, fuel sending unit, lines/hoses?  If all this stuff hasn't been inspected or replaced by your mechanic, I'd be looking for a new one.  It's all basic maintenance that can be expected on older cars.  Has anyone suggested getting the carb rebuilt?

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself thinking an engine re-build is in order at this point.  Even if it were to come to that, the idea that it would have any significant impact on your car's value is mostly unfounded.  After all, you've indicated it's a daily driver and not a "trailer queen". If a replacement engine were installed, I suppose one could make the argument that it could lower the value in the eyes of a very discerning Buyer who's looking for a pristine factory original.  But, the harsh reality with this gen of Montes (and, most other GM "A" bodies of this era) is that daily drivers don't have the collectibility and subsequent high values that previous gens of cars may have...and, resale values are much less impacted by modifications.  Besides, the vast majority of Buyers seem to want to modify and improve on them, anyway.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Dont worry about the originality, you want reliability. Where do you live? Maybe someone here can recommend a place that knows about an older vehicle.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Need Help please Empty Wont start

Post by Dinomyte Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:13 pm

x3 on reliability. If you're concerned keep the original engine. I'd say that the value of the car will stay about the same, unless you put a 3 cylinder Suzuki Swift motor in it.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum