G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

74 monte carlo down in south FL

+6
Dinomyte
Wallyuph
77mali
77cruiser
thatfnthing
Limey SE
10 posters

Go down

74 monte carlo down in south FL Empty 74 monte carlo down in south FL

Post by brian74montecarlo Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:37 pm

hello guys im Brian Scarbs , of ft lauderdale FL
my car is a nice 74 monte carlo ( factory 2brl ) 350/350 with 273 open rear end.

car came to me in realley nice shape - but the factory 2brl setup was terrible
ended up eventually swaping on the edelbrock 2701 intake with edelbrock 600cfm manual choke carb
thought it would "wake up" the car a bit - sadly it did not - why ? the factory exaust manafolds had air tubes in them wich were terribly restrictive.   after adding a set of patriot clipster headers with new 2.5" pipes the car was finaly fun to drive,      but i want more fun so i added tci breakaway torque converter ( 1000 rpm over "stock" ) and a B&M shift kit stage 2 as well as the B&M quick silver shifter ( long time favorite shifter )

i figured the stage 2 on the kit would hit nice from first to second shift - but i believe my high stall and gearing in the rear axle are preventing that nice tire "bark" i was hoping for.

imediate plans for the car = 373 rear gears and posi unit / as well as get the tranny fine tuned im still thinking it does not shift and work exactly like i was thinking it would - it shifts from 1 to 2 pretty low still
cut a hole in the hood ( gasp ) and get goodmark steel cowl weld on fabbed on.    

and slightly further away ( few more months ) install a hot 383 with a realley worked brodix single plain high rise
have a buddy who builds motors up in TN putting it together now, should be real nice power im exited.

74 monte carlo down in south FL 089_zpsdc7hfayj
74 monte carlo down in south FL 991_zpsqadurcrs
74 monte carlo down in south FL 993_zpsmcdzlccv
74 monte carlo down in south FL 974_zpsjfw0uzvl

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

74 monte carlo down in south FL Empty Re: 74 monte carlo down in south FL

Post by ant7377 Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Welcome! Nice car ! I have a black 73 Monte as well as the one in my avatar. Having fun keeping that hood clean and dust free I bet.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Very nice. Never under estimate the gains you get from basic mods.....especially on a mid '70's car.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Looks really nice Buddy !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:37 am

Very nice Monte!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 am

That's sharp!!!
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:41 am

Sweet ride!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by brian74montecarlo Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:26 pm

74 monte carlo down in south FL 404_zpsrbmpdl8a

also have a secret sub ( high end tc sounds 12" audiophile grade )
its a sealed box in the trunk built to "play" firing in to the cabbin of the car so there is NO trunk rattles or any other annoying stuff usualy associated with subwoofers in trunks.     its realley a strange design i came up with as the sides are all sealed off to the cabbin of the car so no sound preasure from the sub goes to the trunk - its all directed thru the back seat in to the cabbin of the car.    the strange angle its at was because the trunk springs were totaly in the way

my plans are to hide some more mids up front and play it all from this old school fultron 6 channel amp it wont over power any of my speakers but should make for a nice normal stereo type setup
74 monte carlo down in south FL 025_zps1f0dbe07

74 monte carlo down in south FL 024_zpsfiy3ievk

and im lucky enough to live near a marina so i get this rec fuel with no ethonoal
my car has never run better with this fuel.  i hope my new engine being built can run it ( 10.5 to 1 compression i believe )
74 monte carlo down in south FL 037_zpsaum7cghr

was going for an exaust tip style called "bell flower" but decided to use larger diamater tips than normal
74 monte carlo down in south FL 708_zpsnnfyn4mb

its kinda cool in its own way - like having side pipes for behind your rear tires lol
74 monte carlo down in south FL Th_186_zpsmrfevimc

i found the pix of my factory manafolds with the air tubes - look how far they went in - they were literly choking off my engine
74 monte carlo down in south FL 689_zpsujfetjdw
74 monte carlo down in south FL 690_zpsjm2fzrmf

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:12 am

Welcome, nice Monte.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 am

Let me know how that ends up sounding for you with sub set up.
I have two 10" subs in a sealed box that is up tight and fastened to rear deck. its hard to see them in the photo below but they are under the metal mesh. I glued the metal mesh in to rear deck board with window urethane so it would not rattle. Then did fiberglass pitched cones for the speakers. tweeters are on side panels. It sounds great running two amps one for subs and one for components.

74 monte carlo down in south FL <a href=74 monte carlo down in south FL Img_7111" />
74 monte carlo down in south FL <a href=74 monte carlo down in south FL Img_4210" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Didnt realize they went in that far! Maybe I should take mine off
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by brian74montecarlo Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:55 pm

i was told the air tubes can be "carefully" removed and you can replace the open hole on top with a threaded cap

but in all reality a set of headers / long or short are the way to go - so worth the performence and drivability over stock manafolds

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:33 am

If you take them out a simple.short bolt or a pipe plug will close the whole.easily. Ant, you wont feel the difference in the seat of your pants.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:29 am

Welcome, and nice ride. . ..
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by brian74montecarlo Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:09 pm

installed trans cooler today - un hooked from radiator entirely and run just to the cooler - size 11x8x1.5 - states 20,500 btu cooling capacity ?
its mounted where it gets good flow hope its enough... should be

74 monte carlo down in south FL 012_zpsooa2dnja
74 monte carlo down in south FL 020_zps31bien6c
74 monte carlo down in south FL 011_zpsugy2b1vt

daddys little helper haha
74 monte carlo down in south FL 037_zpsevqxmzud

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Did you mount the in on the bottom and.out on top ?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:25 pm

You should run it through the factory cooler first then through the external cooler. That is the same cooler I have, it must work as it gets very hot to the touch.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:29 pm

I think with this monte being a Florida car, I'd keep it flowing just through the auxillary cooler. No need to expose the tranny fluid to high engine coolant temp in the rad.
In the northern states then I'd run it through the rad first since we get colder temps.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Joe73 wrote:If you take them out a simple.short bolt or a pipe plug will close the whole.easily.   Ant, you wont feel the difference in the seat of your pants.
Joe.Im not going through the trouble then.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by brian74montecarlo Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Joe73 wrote:Did you mount the in on the bottom and.out on top ?

how the factory lines were on the radiator - i took the upper line and mounted to the upper on the new cooler so it flows exactly like it used to just not thru the radiator anymore
and agreed that the radiator will have a hard enough time just cooling coolant in the south FL brutal sun and heat.
my plan is for a used aluminum c&r radiator from a dirt late model ( getting in trade for basicly free )

and about the air tubes
i promise you going from the factory manafolds with tubes to the patriot clipster headers it totaly woke my engine up.

simply swaping out the factory 2brl and carb to the edelbrock 2701 and 600cfm carb did basicly almost no improvment in performence until i put the headers on with real 2.5" duals all the way to the rear - ( had crush 2.25" duals on the car with factory manafolds with air tubes ) and the engine just couldnt exhale, so id imagine you might feel it in the seat of your pants if you run the engine up to or above 3k rpm. but if your just daily put put driving to the grocrey store then no need to mess with the air tubes.

strange side note - i thought i had an exhaust leak at the gasket from factory manafold to block - but it was one of the air tubes on the back side i could not see had a small pin hole rusted thru it - allowing exhaust leak that was tricking me thinking it was somewhere else. super annoying too = no matter what i couldnt figure out how to rid that leak.. was a pin hole i couldnt see in the exhaust tubing the whole time. just fyi incase any one else has the same strange exaust leak they cant find - it might be a hole in one of the air tubes...

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down