G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck

5 posters

Go down

Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck Empty Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:55 am

Anyone into MGs?  Family friends had a white convertible (black top) back in the 1980s; I rode in it a few times &, as a youngster, was fascinated (for lack of a better term) by the 3 windshield wipers vs. the conventional 2!  While it seems a popular color is British Racing Green, of these 3, which color do you prefer: red, yellow or blue?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/01/01/friday-files-47/

While the rusty truck is interesting, the building behind it is somewhat of a mystery.  Any ideas what it is!?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/01/02/saturday-smorgasbord-48/

Among other things, today (well, 01/03/2016) is National Fruitcake Toss Day!  Not sure where they come up with things like this, but I bet many people love to toss fruitcakes. Wink  Meantime, a gorgeous red Chevelle is featured:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/01/03/from-the-heart-196/

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower" __ Counting Crows __ 'A Long December'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck Empty Re: Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 am

Our auto instructor teacher in high school was into MGs, he had a pair of them, both green I think. I was never "into" them. My Godfather, at the same time had a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine, (like the Maxwell Smart car..his was a Tiger) had the removable hard top. He tried to sell it to me, I remember my mother talking me out of it. The deal was done on my end, I still think about that car! Thanks for the flood of THOSE memories!

About rusty trucks... We stumbled upon this rusty truck at Grubbs...a scrapyard we went to last week
Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck Image_zpsy953gl3a
Pretty toasty for sure, there was a Model A behind it
Tossing fruitcake & a rusty truck Image_zpsymrie7ht
Pretty uncommon to see that kinda stuff in the woods of western Pa, it's all usually fertilizer by now.
Me Grubb was a unique 70ish year old, the conversation with him was interesting. He had a lot of older cars on his property, around the outer perimeter of his scrap yard. I took a lot of pics, none of the cars were salvageable.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:20 am

MG...Hahahahahaha!

I used to work with a guy that had a MG.

First, the guy was too tall/big to have an MG. Picture a Sasquatch in a pedal car.
Second, the dude was as broke as the rest of us and the top on it was in tatters, so he just kept it down.
That's great until you saw him pull out of the parking lot on a cold winter night in January, zooming down the street in a parka with the fuzzy stuff around the hood, an orange scarf around his face, gloves and military surplus goggles and snow piled in the passenger seat.
That was even more comical as seeing him roll into the lot on a rainy day wearing a camo poncho with garbage bags wrapped around his lower legs.

Priceless.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am

My oldest son had a few of those BMC ( British Motors Corp) cars, and I got sucked into fixing them, which was a constant job. The MG and the Austin Healey types were crap in my opinion.
Road & Track magazine had a funny comment some years ago...like.."the Japanese engines run very well and seem durable, as opposed to the British BMC engines, which sounded like they were coming apart ( which they were ")
Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:40 pm

My brother-in-law has an MG. It spends 3/4 of its time in the shop.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:59 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:Me Grubb was a unique 70ish year old, the conversation with him was interesting. He had a lot of older cars on his property, around the outer perimeter of his scrap yard. I took a lot of pics, none of the cars were salvageable.

Aye ... that's sad.  I've said it before, but I have a love-hate relationship with those type of pics.  Love seeing the "art" that has formed, but hate seeing the vehicles in that shape. Sad

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Now, how do you feel?" __ Dido __ 'Don't Think Of Me'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down