G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunkins' editorial

4 posters

Go down

Hunkins' editorial Empty Hunkins' editorial

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 am

His editorial about how the Yenkos, Baldwin-motion, Shelbys, and other special option high power cars were often dreamed about but rarely seen or experienced reflected what I have seen. I was just curious if the story applies elsewhere.

During my high school years, the80's, the only vehicles I recall that fit the criteria were a 396 70 chevelle, and perhaps a 69 camaro ss with a warmed up 350. One of my classmates had a gnx brand new(not a gearhead though). A friend of mine was a mopar freak and convinced me to respect a well tuned 440. Most cars were base or mid level optioned cars that were modified for performance. Another classmate had a cutlass with a hot olds 350 that would just embarrass anything of similar displacement.

The guys that cared to do this were actually a pretty small group. I'm sure their were faster/quicker cars around at the time, but they were owned by more responsible older people that kept them in a garage (maybe not by choice).
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Hunkins' editorial Empty Re: Hunkins' editorial

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 am

my high school daze started in 79 classmates / friends who hotrods were a circle like any other, 70 boss 302 , 69 torino, 1968 SS Chevelle, 1969 base malibu, 70 SS Chevelle, 1973 Cutlass, 1974 Chevy step side 454 truck 4x4 ( was the funnest of all)

I could go on but you get the drift, My dad did have some friends that Had few of the Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago ( Like Baldwin/Motion of NY )cars 3 camaro's and one nickey chevelle dont remember year

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Since we are all about the same age, we all grew up with SLOWWW cars.
A fast production car in the early and mid eighties was a 200 horse mustang gt. I had exactly two friends who had really quick cars. One dude had dropped a monster 350 in a Vega of all things, and another guy had a 68 step-side Chevy pick up with a 454, but his dad wouldn't even let him drive it. I also remember a guy that had juiced and S-10 with a mean 305 he had pulled from a Monza. (Monza? Vega? geez how old am I, some of the guys I work with wouldn't even know what those cars are)Plus we all made $3.25 hr. and couldn't afford the really cool stuff. I don't know of ANY yenko type dealers anywhere in this part of the country. I do remember the hurst olds,monte ss and the grand nationals coming out and causing quite a stir. But I also remember beating the whoa nelly out of most of those, including the IROC and Z28 camaro with my 74 Malibu. All of the pollution control stuff on those cars was really primitive and bogged 'em down big time. That old 350 in my malibu was just a little bit beefier than stock and smacked 'em around pretty good if I had enough room to really get her rolling.
A few of my freinds kinda gave up on their rides and went out and bought the early rice rocket ninjas and hurricanes.
Our era just hadn't yet recovered from the 70's economic problems to allow us or the car companies to do much.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Hmmm...... in 98 I was 16. Wow that makes me feel young again! Thanks to all of you old(er) farts, lol. I drove a 70 Chevelle until I done a cliche & wrapped it around a telephone pole, then I got "stuck" with a $275 76 Malibu which actually felt cool after a few mods. My cousin had a 72 Cutlass & a 63 short wide Chevy with a decent 350 & Muncie 4 speed, my buddies had a 70's model Chevy short step slammed with a 400, a 69 Z28, an 86 Mustang (actually he was more of a rival with me for fastest in school. Ahhh the dumbass days of street racing), a third gen Z28, and a 67 Furd truck with a 390 & 4 speed.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum