G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Touring abandoned auto plant

+2
73ss
Joe73
6 posters

Go down

Touring abandoned auto plant Empty Touring abandoned auto plant

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ut23BhWai8
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Touring abandoned auto plant Empty Re: Touring abandoned auto plant

Post by 73ss Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:57 pm

We are planning a trip to Michigan next week and I am going to cross over into "The dark side" Planning to tour the F-150 Ford plant. I tried to tour the GM Flint plant the last time I was up there and they didn't offer any. It was a complete hassle just to get someone on the phone.

I gotta hand it to Ford, Called them and they answered immediately and gave all info needed. They have their stuff together as far as tours and things to do.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:05 am

I have a driving tour of abandoned factories that I do for visiting friends and family, when they request it.

The old Packard plant, Ford's Highland Park plant, the Piquette Plant and - since most of them are old Pontiac enthusiasts, the PMD headquarters which included Fisher Body, the engine plant and Final Assembly.  Throw in a few auto baron homes and it's kinda fun.

I don't get out of the car, though.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 am

I have been to the Studebaker plant in South Bend, which is mostly a museum now. Although they do have Fozzie Bear's 63 Stude, which was cool. Driven by a midget from the trunk while the puppeteers were in the cabin.

Oh, yes, and what's left of the Marathon plant in Nashville, which is mostly stores and office space now, but still has cool historic info and some memorabilia.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

Never got a chance to visit the Ford Plant in St. Paul, MN that was built in 1925 to build Model T's...and, closed in 2011 after building Rangers for years. It was their flagship plant in modernization and architecture when built. Every year growing up we'd pass thru the Twin Cities on the way to our week at the cabin in WI in August...just as they were tooling up for the new models and closing the plant to tours so as not to reveal what the new models looked like. Interesting fact is they made auto glass from the silica sand they mined onsite underground. Apparently, tunnels are still there; or, at least were before the site was leveled for still-to-be-announced re-development plans.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 pm

" Driven by a midget from the trunk"

Nothing more to say...
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:09 am

REVINKEVIN wrote:" Driven by a midget from the trunk"

Nothing more to say...

Sorry, was that insufficiently PC? Seemed a little suspect when I typed it, but couldn't come up with anything that sounded better. What would have been preferable? Honestly asking.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 am

No, your good. It was a great description. I hate PC and I love accuracy. It just gave me a good visual of how they actually made that work. Your cool, as usual.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am

Well, then, if you were to see it it was something. I felt sorry for whoever got that job -- there was no trunk floor (so if your feet fall off the pedals, you will do an unintentional Fred Flintstone) and no visibility -- he was given directions via radio. Extremely crude.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down