G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete

+2
Olof
Mitchell Murphy
6 posters

Go down

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Empty Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete

Post by Mitchell Murphy Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:23 am

Friend of mine is looking fro a manual steering unit-(73-77) and a radio face plate delete, his name is Charles Lyon. You may reach him at (864) 380-1065 Mobile Number or home number at (8640269-4629. Or you can let me know (865) 924-1273, Thanks Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Empty Re: Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

My chevelle is factory manual steering.  I was messaged years ago regarding the specs and part number of my pitman arm.  The pitman arm is going to be the problem.  He was never able to locate one.  Best bet would be to try to retrofit a box and pitman from another vehicle.  Here is what I have for pics. Good luck with the search.

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman10
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman11
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman12

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman13
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman14
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman15

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman16
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman17
Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Pitman18
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Empty Re: Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm

Joe, what is the extra connection point on the pitman arm? Never seen a manual steering box so this is all new to me.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 pm

Got me on that one. I wondered that myself. That dust boot and cotter pin were put there by the rebuilder. There wasnt anything on the stud when I bought the car in '82. The rebuilder called me when he received the box and inquired about it. He said it was a heavy duty box and needed a new main shaft. He had the NOS shaft for it. The color on the parts are supposed to be original factory colors. That was an option offered for $20 so I took it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:06 pm

Now learning all that I'll definitely keep my eyes open for any manual steering stuff in the future. The guy seems to have done a great job from what the pics are showing.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

crice63 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks, I hope so.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Olof Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:06 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Joe, what is the extra connection point on the pitman arm? Never seen a manual steering box so this is all new to me.

Can it be for a damper? Hhehe Maybe a hydraulic ram if you changed your mind in re to power assist Very Happy

Olof
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by newmexguy Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:09 pm

Yep that is a very rare bird (manual steering in a colonnade car).  I've never seen one, and I used to look for and pull parts such as this.   Along with manual trans parts, and non AC heater boxes and ancillary parts.  Twenty five years of yarding, and have only seen and pulled one manual trans setup - in a '73 El Camino.  Yes it sold almost immediately back then, in mid 00's.  
Have to wonder, how does the box itself, differ from earlier units ('69 - '72)  with the aluminum top cover?  Is it internal stops and a different part number cast on box? #7809666 - can't say ever seen one of those.

newmexguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed May 18, 2022 12:16 am

So I was going through one of my GM manuals and found a section describing the manual steering setup. It references a steering dampener attaching to the pitman arm. So maybe that's the extra connection point on yours Joe?

Mauual Steering unit/Radio Face plate delete Manual10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed May 18, 2022 10:16 am

Its possible. I bought my car in 1982 and it was all stock mechanically. There wasnt any dampner on the car. I always wondered about it but for the years of it being my daily driver, Ive never thought there was a need for one. I have to say the manual box is smooth and does not require crazy effort when driving. When parallel parking you learn to have the car rolling just a pinch which lessens the effort even more.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm

I would guess that's an optional part? I've seen them on Monte Carlos with power steering as well.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed May 18, 2022 7:13 pm

My 74 monte daily driver has the dampner. For all the hours Ive spent combing the Gm heritage center documents, Ive never seen an "option" regarding something for manual steering. Very interesting though.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973GS Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:43 pm

For my 73 GS, I used a 1988 S-10 manual gear box and pitman arm. It bolted right up to the frame and center link. Lot's of early S-10's had manual steering so it may not be too difficult to find. If you grab one from a bone yard,  grab the intermediate shaft also. If I recall correctly, I had to use the lower part from the S-10 and the upper part from the Buick. I had to cut a notch in the lower shaft to install the tension spring because the S-10 didn't use a spring, it had nylon injected to keep the two shafts from rattling while still allowing the shaft to collapse.
1973GS
1973GS
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down