G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof rail /Window alignment

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Roof rail /Window alignment Empty Roof rail /Window alignment

Post by HDHugger Tue May 11, 2010 7:26 pm

We replaced the roof rail on the drivers side because it was pretty shot. Haven't started on the passenger side becuase we haven't been able to line up the window correctly on the drivers side yet. (This is the seal that goes along the top of the window when you crank the window up, mounted on the body of the car). The new seal just seems too big, and no matter which way we align it, there's always a part that doesn't seat in the trim properly. It's not glued down yet, waiting to make sure we get it right before we do that.

Under the metal rail that holds the new seal, it was like tar, but it was something that was done by previous owner, as we also pulled out a full piece of paper towel apparently used for a shim! We tried weather stripping (the foam kind) but it was too thick. Now we have very thin weather stripping, not even 1/8 of an inch think.

We aligned it the best we could, and it is good except the back top of the window, which we can't get in any better. It's against the seal, but I did awater test (dumped a bucket of water on the roof) and it leaked in, so it's not good enough yet.

Here is my question: Does anyone have an idea of what we are actually supposed to use between the metal strip and the car body? My next step is to take it in to a body shop and pay them to align the damn thing, we are getting frustrated. And we still have the passenger side to do.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Roof rail /Window alignment Empty Re: Roof rail /Window alignment

Post by Limey SE Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm

first that tar is factory, I will get some pics of where and what goes tomorrow.....to help you along

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm

i actually just took all of that off recently and cleaned all the tar up (heat torch and scraper, and also wirebrush) but i think its that 2 sided sticky tape that goes between the metal rail that the weatherstripping fits into and the car body,
then theres some black glue or something that glues the weatherstripping to the rail

as for all the alignment idk about that i am just going to buy my weatherstripping from ecklerschevelle.com and hope it fits
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue May 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks guys! This little project has taken too long already. About 6 hours into it and we have to start over again. At least we didn't glue or tar anything down yet!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down