G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gauge Cluster Acrylic (glass)

5 posters

Go down

Gauge Cluster Acrylic (glass) Empty Gauge Cluster Acrylic (glass)

Post by Laguna Budman Thu May 13, 2010 11:57 pm

I know most of you have done this so I need advice. I just took the dash bezel off the 77 to clean and paint(turned out awesome by the way) and was putting it back together and I'm not happy with the plastic-acrylic whatever you call it. Have any of you used anything to clean it up real good? No scratches just looks like water spots or something.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Gauge Cluster Acrylic (glass) Empty Re: Gauge Cluster Acrylic (glass)

Post by Limey SE Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 am

Laguna Budman wrote:I know most of you have done this so I need advice. I just took the dash bezel off the 77 to clean and paint(turned out awesome by the way) and was putting it back together and I'm not happy with the plastic-acrylic whatever you call it. Have any of you used anything to clean it up real good? No scratches just looks like water spots or something.

Only thing I would / could suggest is the headlight cleaner ?? or hardware store for new acryllic they have it in the same size use your old one as a template

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 am

I've got the same problem, I tried maguires plastic polish, it helped, but still isn't great.

How do you separate the glass from the bezel without tearing it up? Then how do you get it back on? My plastic is held to the bezel with what looks like plastic welds, I've been too chicken so far to cut the welds off, cuz I don't know how to get it back on without buying a plastic welder.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 am

I use a hot knife, save the plastic that comes off, and use the hot knife to melt it all together again. You could also drill the posts so you can use a small screw to hold the pieces together.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri May 14, 2010 8:57 am

I thought about that, I'm just afraid I'll mess it up and I DO NOT want to try and replace it.$$$$$$$

Are you gonna try to clean your "glass" up or just replace it with something?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 am

I just cleaned it as good as I could with both the headlight cleaner and plastic polish. Still has some imperfection in it, but it looks a lot better than before and it isn't something to make me stop using it.

The hot knife method isn't that difficult. I didn't even touch the clear part. I had it apart in less time than it took to type this- literally.

The hot knife I have has a variety of tips, so i used other tips to use the plastic nubs I cut off to build up and reshape the post that was cut, and then to mash the plastic back down upon reassembly.

Most of the time all I had to do was just move the plastic over so the clear piece could move. I only had to cut the post underneath the clear piece if the post was really mashed like a rivet, most of the time whoever assembled these just kind of laid the post over enough to hold the clear piece.

I didn't look for material to replace it with, though it would be easy to do.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 am

I'll try your method and see what happens, If I screw it up I'll send you a bill. clown Very Happy
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 14, 2010 11:31 am

i used a lighter nd a knife to get mine off

i heated up the weld and cut it off with the knife and the plastic came off perfect
ive done it twice with the same perfect result and i even got it on some how too and it looks great!

its honestly easier than it sounds just have to have a little common sense
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 am

Hey just found a solution. A buddy of mine owns a glass shop and had some 1/16 Lexan layin around. Very bendable and I drilled holes and put it in with small screws and it looks good. Did ya know you can cut that stuff with tin snips(crazy)
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 am

nice thats a good idea i should do that it would look a lot cleaner
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down