G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gauge cluster removal

4 posters

Go down

Gauge cluster removal Empty Gauge cluster removal

Post by MaliCrusier / Mitch Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:54 pm

I've removed every single piece of hardware I can find holding my gauge cluster in and the thing still wont budge an inch, especially in the center. Been stuck at this same point for a few days now. Is there a walk trough somewhere on how to remove this or can someone help walk me through this?
MaliCrusier / Mitch
MaliCrusier / Mitch
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Gauge cluster removal Empty Re: Gauge cluster removal

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am

Man, it's been a while since I've been in the dash, but I don't recall any thing except the speedo cable and wire harness connector behind the cluster. There might be some screws going up into the dash pad that are covered by the bezel that get overlooked.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:02 am

I've removed my share of round gauge clusters...but, only a couple of square ones over the years.  I'm assuming the bezel is off?  Don't remember if the square cluster has these, but I'm sure it must as these are what further holds the round gauge housing to the dash. But, there is a 3/8" recessed nut on either side of the large round gauges that need to come off.  What I notice most often is the dash has swelled a little bit from age around the opening and the cluster housing gets hung up and requires a little persuasion to clear the lip.  The speedo cable doesn't necessarily have to be completely removed prior to pulling out the cluster housing.  However, the retaining clip should be released so the cable will slide out of the speedo as the cluster is pulled forward.  I also lower the strg column to gain more room when bringing the cluster housing forward (don't forget to remove the shift indicator cable from the strg column before doing this).
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:41 am

Like Mcarlo77 stated, you'll need to remove the securing nuts from 2 locations that hold the cluster to the dash. But first, you'll need to remove the speedometer to access these 2 nuts. I believe there are 4 screws that secure the speedo to the cluster housing and then you'll have to depress the retaining clip behind it to release the speedo cable. Then you can pull out the gauge cluster far enough to unplug the clock if you have one. Good luck.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by MaliCrusier / Mitch Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks for the information guys! It's really just the speedo that I need to remove just so I can replace my speedo cable. I'll take some pictures of how it currently sits so that maybe extra eyes might pick up on what I may have missed.
MaliCrusier / Mitch
MaliCrusier / Mitch
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down