G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

getting me a 350

+6
77malibu77
bigredlaguna
74Malibu383
ant7377
74MonteCarlo
maliburacinfreak
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

getting me a 350 - Page 2 Empty Re: getting me a 350

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 am

Rago wrote:Not a bad combo at all TW, but a smaller cam with a tighter LSA would have netted some more low end grunt without affecting vacuum. JMHO.

thats true, i went with the wide LSA to get the lumpy idle, which id never had in a car of my own before.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:11 pm

TWBouska wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:thx TW but im gonna just use the heads that are already on there, but the guy i bought it from is giving me the double hump heads but idk about those...
and im going to have a 4 barrel on it so i am going to use one of those edelbrock performer intakes.
and it already has a new cam in it

is it a stock cam? cause if that engine is exactly how it was run in 78, its going to have about 150 horsepower.

im pretty sure everything is stock on it now he took all his good parts off for the new 454 he got lol. but the cam is brand new its one of those crane energizer cams they are at least 180$
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 pm

What "good parts" can you take off a small block to put on a big block? The carb? This doesn't make any sense.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 pm

77malibu77 wrote:

but the cam is brand new its one of those crane energizer cams they are at least 180$

A few things:

1. the price of the cam really isnt that important, its all about the duration and lift, the cam I have in my engine is a jegs basic flat tappet cam that costs $80 for the whole kit and it does great.

2. ask him for the part number if you can, if you can get it, one of us can look it up and tell you what size the cam is, because if its small, your going to want to change it at some point anyways, and trust me, once the engine is all the way in the car with all the accessories bolted on, a cam swap is gonna take you at least one day, probably a whole weekend.

3. 400 bucks isnt bad to spend on a complete 350, but if you havent heard the engine run, you may want to find out if you can return it if there is any problems, etc, if not, you may want to see if you can just get a short block from someone (block and crank) and just save the money and buy new cam, heads, intake, etc. because i PROMISE this engine wont be powerful enough for your liking, at least not for long, so your going to want to make some changes to it anyways, why not save a little longer, and just buy the stuff you want the first time, it'll save you money in the long run, not to mention a lot of time, because once you put an engine into a car, doing a top end swap (cam, heads, intake) is much more difficult than when you have the engine out of the car on a stand.

either way, you can do what you like, ive just learned some things the hard way, so i like to at least help people see the alternatives.

anyways, thats the most words ive typed at once since high school english. let me know if you have any questions, im happy to help.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:46 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:What "good parts" can you take off a small block to put on a big block? The carb? This doesn't make any sense.

im with you on this, i cant even think of anything that is interchangeable between the two except for the carb
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Travis, a tighter lobe separation would give a bigger lope. This is why most factory cams had 114-116 LSA whereas performance cams are 104-110 typically.

Brandon, Crane Energizers were only $129.99 brand new. I know I have one of the last ones made. They are no longer sold under the Crane name because Crane Cams sold out a couple of years ago. Summit bought the rights to the Energizer Cams recently & now sells them for... :gasp!: $129.99 as Summit Cams! Energizers were the Crane budget cams.

Get me the part #s for the cam. Look in the rocker arm valley for the head casting #. Look on the back of the block for all of the block #s. Report back here for analyzing. Wink
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Rago wrote:Travis, a tighter lobe separation would give a bigger lope. This is why most factory cams had 114-116 LSA whereas performance cams are 104-110 typically.

oh, my mistake, either way, the engine sounds how i wanted, so at least i didnt get it in the car and realize it wasnt what i wanted.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Rago wrote:Travis, a tighter lobe separation would give a bigger lope. This is why most factory cams had 114-116 LSA whereas performance cams are 104-110 typically.

Brandon, Crane Energizers were only $129.99 brand new. I know I have one of the last ones made. They are no longer sold under the Crane name because Crane Cams sold out a couple of years ago. Summit bought the rights to the Energizer Cams recently & now sells them for... :gasp!: $129.99 as Summit Cams! Energizers were the Crane budget cams.

Get me the part #s for the cam. Look in the rocker arm valley for the head casting #. Look on the back of the block for all of the block #s. Report back here for analyzing. Wink

cant get to the head number because i have the valve covers on and i dont want to change the gasket yet and still its over a hundred dollar cam.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:51 pm

engine = GM 460777
intake= 848280 T - 18438572

those are the numbers i found so far
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 pm

TWBouska wrote:
74Malibu383 wrote:What "good parts" can you take off a small block to put on a big block? The carb? This doesn't make any sense.

im with you on this, i cant even think of anything that is interchangeable between the two except for the carb

The distributor is the same for BBC and SBC. The rocker arms might physically fit, but it would be a step back for the big block since the factory ratio is 1.7/1 for the big block and the small block is a 1.5/1 factory ratio.

If the seller told you anything other wise, he may be talking out of his A$$, or doesn't know anything about Chevies.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:43 am

77malibu77 wrote:

cant get to the head number because i have the valve covers on and i dont want to change the gasket yet and still its over a hundred dollar cam.

and not to pick on you but i strongly encourage you to do as much research as you can on cars because with a lot of this high dollar stuff all your paying for is a name when you could get a lot more performance for less if you understand the numbers.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm

TWBouska wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

and not to pick on you but i strongly encourage you to do as much research as you can on cars because with a lot of this high dollar stuff all your paying for is a name when you could get a lot more performance for less if you understand the numbers.

thx and im trying to learn as much as i can but the only way your gonna learn something is by doing it yourself, and i just picked up the engine so im learning as much as possible

whats your ideas on what distributor i should go with?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:45 pm

77malibu77 wrote:engine = GM 460777

You got hosed........ 460777 = 78-79 305 passenger car engine. Didn't this happen once before & we suggested looking up the #s before buying? I didn't even waste my time on the intake casting.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:33 pm

[quote="77malibu77"]
TWBouska wrote:

whats your ideas on what distributor i should go with?

i just use the stocks one...eventually i go with an MSD distributor but i cant afford it not...once i get another car im probably just going to put the 454 in my el camino anyways, but i need to get the 700r4 and rebuild my rear end first.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Rago wrote:

You got hosed........

ouch. Crying or Very sad

thats a lot of money to pay for a 305.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah, but at least he'll get good gas milage. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Rago wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:engine = GM 460777

You got hosed........ 460777 = 78-79 305 passenger car engine. Didn't this happen once before & we suggested looking up the #s before buying? I didn't even waste my time on the intake casting.

thanks a lot rago i gave you street cred!
i should have checked before i got it. but all is good Very Happy
he is my neighbor and it came out of his 78 camaro (which makes sense) but i only paid him 110 so far and i just called him i am getting my money back and he is getting his 305 back.
appreciate it rago next time i will look. on the engine it says 350 and i thought it was right next time ill look at the casting number
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:05 pm

That's not good news. Maybe I should send a friend over to that guy's house for a serious conversation about honesty.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

pila wrote:That's not good news. Maybe I should send a friend over to that guy's house for a serious conversation about honesty.....

seriously..good thing i dont live in orlando..i might have to let a 90 lb german shepherd that hates people loose in his house.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 am

lol what i find funny is he is supposed to be my friend,
oh well once a scumbag always a scumbag.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:25 pm

since it turned out to be a 305 rago can you delete this topic?

im getting my money back today anyways lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Not going to delete this topic. I was actually thinking of retitling it & making it a sticky so that others may learn from hasty mistakes. Could be worthwhile......
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Rago wrote:Not going to delete this topic. I was actually thinking of retitling it & making it a sticky so that others may learn from hasty mistakes. Could be worthwhile......

id rather not, im kinda embarrassed lol
just make a sticky and tell people to check the numbers before they buy a car/ or engine etc.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Good to hear you are getting it resolved. Maybe your friend didn't know what it was anyway.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm

pila wrote:Good to hear you are getting it resolved. Maybe your friend didn't know what it was anyway.

yeah thanks pila, but its funny because this whole time he thought it was a 350 and he put the brand new cam in and bought all new parts for it and hoses. i got my money back and there was no problems.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: