G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooker Headers removal

+3
Tom77
Joe73
McCauley5983
7 posters

Go down

Hooker Headers removal Empty Hooker Headers removal

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 am

I found a PDF on the hooker site that gives directions on removal & install. On the drivers side it states to remove the mid engine-mount bolt and raise the engine about 2 inches then working from the bottom side work the header out... has anyone ever done this without an engine crane & if so how? I have the 2124HKR headers (I think)...I need to eventually get the thing out so I can repaint. It was fun trying to get it out....disconnected trans linkage, removed oil filter....almost got it out until it hit the darn brake booster...LOL. Thanks in advance.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Hooker Headers removal Empty Re: Hooker Headers removal

Post by McCauley5983 Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am

If you don't have an engine hoist you can do it with a jack a 2x4 you just have to be extremely gentle. First if you need to jack the car up or drive it up on far ramps.next if you jacked it up put a couple jackstands under the car.then take a jack and the 2x4 and place Tue 2x4 between the jack and oilpan yes you can jack the engine up by the oilpan.when your jacking The engine go from the rear of the oil pan the 2x4 is to spread the load across the pan.but don't forget to undo motor mounts or else the motor won't move. Hope this helps
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 am

Interesting! I've changed my headers in my 73 more than a handful of times since '82. I have hookers in there now. I've never removed anything. I unbolt the 3 bolts on the collector and jack the front of the car up real high. They go right in. I do have power brakes and 4 spd. but no power steering. Dont know if that makes a difference or not. For me its a simple job.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 am

Driver side is EASY! slides in/out from the top without a problem. Passenger side can be done a couple of ways. Mine went in from the top on my most recent one, BUT the starter was disconnected & the heater/AC box was removed. I've always done them from underneath prior to this one. Get some ramps, drive it up, pull it out from underneath. Starter will need to be removed, & it will take some maneuvering. Just make sure to move your exhaust pipes out of the way & it won't be too hard.

BTW, no need at all to jack up the engine on a 73-77 with a SBC & Hooker Headers.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I have headman headers and the wife and I just took three days putting in Jegs split lock bolts. I feel your pain. affraid
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks very much guys for all the replies....really got me thinking and I got the thing off...thank goodness, without having to jack the engine. I thought about it some more after reading all the posts & long story short, I broke out the mini-van jack (this thing raises up about 2 feet & is rated for some serious weight). The header just fell right on the ground after enough height was reached. I had to position it so that the bottom was pointing toward the transmission & I still think that no matter what the linkage & filter have to come off first as they are some big @$$ headers. Go figure, right?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 am

Do you guy's think they are worth saving? The other one is in similar condition. VHT paint maybe?
Hooker Headers removal P1010711
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 am

Good collectors, not banged up, not rotted through. I say have them blasted & get them coated.... or sand & paint if you must. One of my brothers had a good idea about bluing headers like you would a gun. Not sure how well this would turn out or how long it would last, but definitely different.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

I think maybe a chimney brush might work to clean the inside. I'm going the sand & paint route I think but will try my little blaster unit to see if it does not bag them up too much. TY Dude.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:10 pm

my olds has hookers and u must jack the motor up and had to trim the one tab on the trans. 1 and 7/8s inch kinda a bi*tch
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 am

77mali wrote:Do you guy's think they are worth saving? The other one is in similar condition. VHT paint maybe?
Hooker Headers removal P1010711

I WOULD SAY YES THEY ARE WORTH SAVING

https://www.g3gm.com/t3072-how-to-prep-non-coated-headers-taken-from-another-site-but-would-help-here-as-well?highlight=coating+headers

So I did the header coating by this process and I must say turned out real nice took about 3.0 hours total to do both headers

BEFORE PICS

Hooker Headers removal 229b511b

AFTER PICS

Hooker Headers removal 0e03eb0aHooker Headers removal B3b60b44

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down