G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a shame for the 350.

+2
McCauley5983
Hydro King
6 posters

Go down

What a shame for the 350. Empty What a shame for the 350.

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 am

just found this out about the 350 chevy
1967–2002 (production ceased in 2002 for USA production only; still manufactured in Mexico for GM's Goodwrench Replacement Engines)

i guess the only good 350's are pre 2002 Mad
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

What a shame for the 350. Empty Re: What a shame for the 350.

Post by IndyG3 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:02 am

Yeah, it sucks, but the good news is they're everwhere, so it's not like they're impossible to find (Hemi anyone? Just kidding, they suck Razz ).

I think the LS motors are great alternatives to 350's nowadays. They make more power and get better gas mileage. On top of all that, they're stupid easy to make ridiculous amounts of power out of.

Off topic, anyone hear about this new 801 cubic inch chevy big block? It's some aftermarket job that makes well over 1,000 hp, and since it's got EFI, it runs on 89 octane! Very Happy
The only downside? I heard it's about a $30,000+ motor...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:38 am

30 grand? wtf i can build it better than that!
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:39 am

and 2 grand cheaper!!
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:55 am

That's what I said!
I think the only advantage over building it yourself (if there ever was such a thing) is that it's just so easy for a motor like that to make that much power.
At 801 cubic inches, it's bairly squeezing out 1 hp per cubic inch! It's like a 350 making 400 hp, only on a much larger scale!

Whatever company that's building it is using some custom built tall deck big block deck. I'm sure that alone is a small fortune, and all the parts are practically custom built, and I'd really hope a $30,000 motor would get a pretty rock solid warranty. Makes me wonder how much it would cost to build it yourself....
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 am

IndyG3 wrote:\ I'd really hope a $30,000 motor would get a pretty rock solid warranty. Makes me wonder how much it would cost to build it yourself....

a third that price..
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:35 am

better mileage? my cars getting close to 20 mpg highway with a four barrel 670 holley crusing at about 90 plus no b.s. with a 1972 350 out of a PICKUP!
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 pm

billy-ray wrote:better mileage? my cars getting close to 20 mpg highway with a four barrel 670 holley crusing at about 90 plus no b.s. with a 1972 350 out of a PICKUP!

That's true, but the LS motors can make 600 hp with a/c and an entire accessory drive and still get the same mileage.

Side note: I probably shoulda said this a while ago, but mpg and all that stuff depends on what kinda gearing you have, horsepower, how you've tuned it, whatever. I'm not trying to say one's better than the other, cause both have their advantages, but it's more about how you set the car up.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:17 pm

the ls motors are all computer regulated and there aluminum. thats two things i want to avoid as much as possible when building a fast extremely reliable daily driver, state runner. ill take the added weight for a stronger part
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:47 pm

I like the LS engines. As I think everybody knows by now I am old as dirt and disabled on top of that (mentally declining fast and physically). I am no longer able to do anything except minor things to my car. When I wanted a better engine for my car I checked very thourghly what I wanted to do. The big block was my second choice and the LS engine was at the top of the list I have a file about an inch thick on how to do the LS swap. My memory is very bad, but I believe the engine I wanted was call an L92. I could not get anybody locally to install the engine because they were "afraid" of it. There was an iron block version of one of the good engines that I checked out, but forgot what it was. I say go for it! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 pm

the LS motors are the 350 small block of the future. as far as being computer controlled and aluminum goes, they are the easiest and most reliable engines out there. not sure what my next project will be, but the LS motor, maybe with a couple of hairdriers on it will be the powerplant affraid
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Nowadays GM has LS iron blocks if you don't wanna use the aluminum block. The iron block's rated up to 2,000 hp, so you really have no good excuse to break it. That, and you can get carb'd manifolds for them.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm

well tony when you build your NEXT motor make sure you donate yours as a tax break to some one in byron illinois tell them it was a gift to help out the less fortunate LOL and then ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down