G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upper Control Arm Shims

4 posters

Go down

Upper Control Arm Shims Empty Upper Control Arm Shims

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:55 pm

So in my process of disassembling the frame, I never took a picture or counted how many shims were between the frame and upper control arms. How can I figure out how many I'm going to need and how does this affect my car if the numbers aren't right?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Upper Control Arm Shims Empty Re: Upper Control Arm Shims

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Just go get an alignment they are supposed to take care of that that is if they know what there doing
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:22 pm

It will affect both static & dynamic camber if not reinstalled correctly. Maybe these links will help you. I have not done any suspension work yet but I've read a few threads on here & elsewhere. Maybe others can post links for you also. These are not specific to A-body GM but principals should be kind of universal.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1007_complete_suspension_upgrade_on_a_1969_plymouth_valiant/photo_05.html

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vet_0309_tubular_front_upper_control_arm_replacements/photo_16.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Put a stack in the rear, and a single thick one in the front, that'll get it reasonably close enough to drive it to the alignment rack and get it really done.

Be sure to bring all your shims with you, some shops don't stock the shims anymore. (I learned this the hard way)

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down