G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters

4 posters

Go down

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters Empty differences between tach and econo gauge clusters

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm

73 tach front
differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 73_tac10

76 econo front
differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 76-110

73 tach back
differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 73_tac11

76 econo back
differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 76_bac10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters Empty Re: differences between tach and econo gauge clusters

Post by lagunainnewark Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 pm

I changed my 76 Laguna over to a tach, If I remember correctly, I added a inserts for the tach and ran the wire to the distributor. I can check the prints and my spares If you need, Ron.
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters Empty Re: differences between tach and econo gauge clusters

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 pm

From what I could see on the '75 Laguna w/tach in the salvage yard vs the '76 Laguna w/Economy gauge, the underhood wiring harness from the junction block on the firewall is the same. The required tach wire, though, runs through the firewall along with the wiring for the A/C-Heater harness. What I'm unclear about is whether this tach wire, which appears to be bundled up inside the main underdash harness, runs to the back of the tach...or, runs into the muti-wire connector behind the speedo? In short, can you utilize the same underdash harness (as with the Econo gauge) and just add the tach wire out to the distributor?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:34 am

The only diff I see is the vacuum port on the rear of the pod for the economy gauge. I think the tach has to connect to the HEI as well as somewhere on the fuse box. Wonder if the box has a dedicated slot for "Tach"? I have a 73 monte harness but my cluster is the large gas gauge w/ speedo but I'll look to see if there is one on non-equipped anyway.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

77mali wrote:The only diff I see is the vacuum port on the rear of the pod for the economy gauge. I think the tach has to connect to the HEI as well as somewhere on the fuse box. Wonder if the box has a dedicated slot for "Tach"? I have a 73 monte harness but my cluster is the large gas gauge w/ speedo but I'll look to see if there is one on non-equipped anyway.

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 73-810

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 78-810
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm

The power and grounds are already in the circuit board, add the tach wire to the main connector then to the distributor. You can trace the track lines on the circuit board to find the correct pin position. Let me know if you need more info, Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:24 am

That's what I wanted to know, Ron...thanks for the pics and info!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35 pm

No problem, anything to help. Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77mali wrote:The only diff I see is the vacuum port on the rear of the pod for the economy gauge. I think the tach has to connect to the HEI as well as somewhere on the fuse box. Wonder if the box has a dedicated slot for "Tach"? I have a 73 monte harness but my cluster is the large gas gauge w/ speedo but I'll look to see if there is one on non-equipped anyway.

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 73-810

differences between tach and econo gauge clusters 78-810

I see why now, the 73 has an amp gauge and the other a voltage gauge. Very curious thing.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:57 am

GM made the same change in the trucks also. From personal experience, I've seen the dash melt from the current through the amp gauge. I also think they did it to save $$$. Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down