G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

might be picking up an 85 GP

+3
pila
77mali
ant7377
7 posters

Go down

might be picking up an 85 GP Empty might be picking up an 85 GP

Post by maliburacinfreak Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

at the family easter get together, my cousin was telling me about this "80s cutlass" his buddy had for sale. he called his buddy and it turned out to be an 85 grand prix. dude blew up the 305 that was in it, paid some guy to swap in a 350 that he had bought for it and the dude never finished the job. so its been sitting for a couple years. my cousin texted me these pics last night and he said it looks to be in pretty good shape other than someone robbed the bucket seats out of it. im planning to go check it out one night this week and maybe bring it home. looks to have some late 70s WS6 wheels on it too. bonus! now i just need to sell my 79 GP to make room for this one.

might be picking up an 85 GP 0409121931a
might be picking up an 85 GP 0409121931
might be picking up an 85 GP 0409121933

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

might be picking up an 85 GP Empty Re: might be picking up an 85 GP

Post by ant7377 Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 am

Those are nice,the seats are one of its best features. Check for frame rail rot behind the rear wheels,a guy almost screwed me on one of those years ago,he didnt think I would look under it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm

I have an 86 GP LE that I'm just about to get running again. I miss driving it, even though I was only able to drive it for a few months before the 305 spun a bearing.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:15 pm

ant7377 wrote:Those are nice,the seats are one of its best features. Check for frame rail rot behind the rear wheels,a guy almost screwed me on one of those years ago,he didnt think I would look under it.
yeah, ived owned probably close to 30 g-bodies over the years, including 4 right now, this will be 5. needless to say, ive seen plenty of frame rot in them. Laughing ived had 3 or 4 81-up GPs in the past and always loved them. right now i have a 79 thats in pretty good shape, i just dont like the 78-80 body.
chevy76monteman wrote:I have an 86 GP LE that I'm just about to get running again. I miss driving it, even though I was only able to drive it for a few months before the 305 spun a bearing.
lets see it! LOVE these cars!

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Found a Bad Arse Grand Am (way the hell up in the sticks though) Been eying it as a daily driver...gotta get rid of this mini van I'm driving first though.... Mad Looking at G body El-Camino's too.
might be picking up an 85 GP 5ga5ke10
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 am

The G body frame rust issue is mentioned quite a bit on the El Camino forum. Kind of wondered why they did that more than the A body, from what I read......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:02 pm

On the Elky G bodies (includes the 78 up A bodies) The front half of the frame was not boxed and the back half was. That caused salt water to get forced up into the bioxed frame with no good way to get out. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 pm

maliburacinfreak wrote:
chevy76monteman wrote:I have an 86 GP LE that I'm just about to get running again. I miss driving it, even though I was only able to drive it for a few months before the 305 spun a bearing.

Here's two pics of it a couple days after I bought it. Parked it in my grandfather's back yard until I could afford to get the title transferred and tags.
might be picking up an 85 GP IMG_0041
might be picking up an 85 GP IMG_0043
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

chevy76monteman wrote:
maliburacinfreak wrote:

Here's two pics of it a couple days after I bought it. Parked it in my grandfather's back yard until I could afford to get the title transferred and tags.
might be picking up an 85 GP IMG_0041
might be picking up an 85 GP IMG_0043

NICE!! looks like its even got the same paint scheme. good looking car!

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:On the Elky G bodies (includes the 78 up A bodies) The front half of the frame was not boxed and the back half was. That caused salt water to get forced up into the bioxed frame with no good way to get out. JB
that, and theres a hole in the frame right behind the rear wheels to access a body mount bolt. so the tires are always slinging water, mud, etc. into the frame and never gets cleaned out.

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I had an 81 GP. picked it up as a project. A buddy was towing it home for me with his wrecker. Front wheels on the ground, rear on the wheel lift. The passengers front wheel came off and went out through the header panel. destroyed it and the fender. good luck finding parts in New England. Wound up selling it to a friend. I have since, never moved a car with out checking lug nuts. Nice ride. good luck with it.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 pm

never got the car. Sad i talked to the guy about it once, every time ive called him since, i get no answer and no return call. im betting it got scrapped Sad

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down