G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member to the "fleet".

+3
Mcarlo77
JiMi_DRiX
77mali
7 posters

Go down

New member to the "fleet".  Empty New member to the "fleet".

Post by 1973 Buick Century Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 23:23

A few weeks ago a 1976 MC found me.

Let me start from the very beginning. My mother had a black '77 that I grew up with till 1988 when she sold it. This was the car that I learned and developed my grounding for what cars do, the sounds, smells, senses.......then it was gone over night. Since I had been looking for a MC from '76 or '77 in black even as a little kid. No luck.

I am now 21, a buddy of mine pulls up in a 1973 Buick Century wagon. I have never seen one in person due to living in the rust belt. for 10 years I would bother him once a year to sell the ol gal to me. She reminded me at a far distance in my memory as to my moms MC, from the vents, sounds, feeling and a weeeeeeee bit to the styling. Granted it was not black but still it was a wagon, from the 1970s and meet all the other requirements I liked about a proper car. I took delivery of that early last spring, then came on board here to the forum. Connected with a lot of great and like minded people.

A fellow collector had mentioned he has a 1976 in his collection and I should come on by to see it. My jaw hit the floor when I first laid on the MC. I was transported back 25 years ago, when life was simple, my dad was still alive, my folks had their 1977 built home, the MC in the garage parked to their '83 F-150, and some TV stations went off air by 12. I was 6 years old again.

To make a long story short, I am now the owner of the '76 Monte Carlo. She sits among friends in my own collection ('73 Century, '78 LTD Country Squire, '95 Buick Roadmaster).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And wouldn't you know it, the second day I had the factory wheel covers on, one pops off. I even watched it being taken out by a 2005ish Dodge Ram truck. Gave a fight, flew up into his wheel well and made some horrific noises. But I still want these, like the ones my mother had on hers:

Photobucket
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

New member to the "fleet".  Empty Re: New member to the "fleet".

Post by 77mali Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 4:49

Congrats, nice car. Great story- those we simpler days for sure. I sound like an old timer saying that LOL but it's so true.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 7:00

I cant see your pics,just a address. It dosent link to anything
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 11:32

You need to use the [IMG][/IMG] tags.

anyway, nice car. It looks familiar..... take good care of her!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

New member to the "fleet".  Empty Re: New member to the "fleet"

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 11:47

That is a great story! And it looks like you couldn't have found a nicer example of what you remembered as a kid! Congrats...and thanks for sharing with us!

Coincidently, I came across a '77 Malibu with these same wheel covers and, on a whim, brought the nicer of the four home with me because...oh, I don't know...I'm attracted to shiny things?!! The center medallion looks to be different, buy those just snap on and are interchangeable. If interested in any or all of them, let me know. Think the medallions were missing on two of them. They certainly aren't show quality and do have some light curb rash. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it as I don't know how hard they are to find.

New member to the "fleet".  76mali10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 11:52

i already have 4 in a box taped up and waiting to be shipped. Laughing

on their way to indiana Wink
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 16:17

Glad to see that 76 went to a good home ! My dad had a Roadmaster too a 95 with LT1. Great car!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 18:30

Lets see if these work for people:

New member to the "fleet".  IMG_0526-Copy

New member to the "fleet".  IMG_0517-Copy

New member to the "fleet".  IMG_0519-Copy

New member to the "fleet".  IMG_0548

1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 20:11

It looks great ! Like new!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 22:29

ant7377 wrote:Glad to see that 76 went to a good home ! My dad had a Roadmaster too a 95 with LT1. Great car!

She's among friends. I am a import tech by trade (Volvo and BMW) and Asian models. And I get asked ALL THE TIME what I drive. When I point to any of the four pictured or anything in that style, the looks of confusion is priceless.

Short story on the Roady. I have been wanting one since they came out. My dad would lease Centurys from the mid '80s till 90-91ish and I always bothered him to get a Roadmaster Estate wagon but he would laugh at the idea. Even into the '90s he still looked at other Buicks, he seemed to like the Riviera. He died in '96 from Legion Aires.

So ever since a part of me wanted a Roadmaster more than ever. Early this year I lost my job and out of all the times my teeth started to give me pains. I never had my wisdom (uppers) pulled, so out they had to go. Along with that my '04 Mustang I bought brand new was hit for the 5th time. It was a hit and run by a Toyota owner. Each and every time the Mustang was hit, it was always by something Asian. Poor car, hand washed and polished by yours truly and just like a great wife, always there no matter what. But there was a target painted on her I could not see. The Mustang went and found the Buick at the same time. 88k miles, felt and looked like 30-40k. I had a '96 Town Car before the Mustang, both the Roadmaster and Town Car have its good/bad points but in the end, they make GREAT road cars. Shame no one makes anything like that anymore.
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 22:30

ant7377 wrote:It looks great ! Like new!

The prior owners loved the MC and it showed. It did not take much to make the gentle giant shine once again!
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Sat 25 Aug 2012 - 20:48

Wow nice monte and the other cars in your fleet are some cool rare cars.
A few years ago I bought a monte like your's exept it was dark blue, it was a clean well loved southern car. Unfortunatley about a week after I bought the car my father passed away, and his 67 caprice and his 93 gmc stepside had to come to my house. I just didn't have the room to keep them all so I sold the monte,to keep the others. I bought another clean arizona 73 monte but had to sell it due to a job loss, ( it is the green one that I use as my ID picture).

Thanks Graham.
P.S. I still have the caprice and the gmc today, and have a couple of clean malibu classics.
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 21:10

Graham Perkins wrote: Wow nice monte and the other cars in your fleet are some cool rare cars.
A few years ago I bought a monte like your's exept it was dark blue, it was a clean well loved southern car. Unfortunatley about a week after I bought the car my father passed away, and his 67 caprice and his 93 gmc stepside had to come to my house. I just didn't have the room to keep them all so I sold the monte,to keep the others. I bought another clean arizona 73 monte but had to sell it due to a job loss, ( it is the green one that I use as my ID picture).

Thanks Graham.
P.S. I still have the caprice and the gmc today, and have a couple of clean malibu classics.

I'm sorry to hear about that Graham. It kills me to sell off a car that is close to me or something I worked very hard to get at. In 2004 I went to look at another Town Car but this one was ALL black. Could not get that financed but I must have drank something that was spiked, I bought a black Mustang (I am a full size car guy, Cadillac, Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbird, Buick.....) LOVED the little car, did VERY well while I was going to Western IL U, she became a part of my youth. Graduated in '08, lost another job in '11 and had to sell the little gal for bills and needing my wisdom teeth to be pulled. Still kills me to think shes gone. But now I have my '95 Roadmaster (went back to the true full size, full frame, RWD car) and the rest of the big car family.

The '67 Caprice is such a great looking and riding automobile. The lines on that, just so darn AWESOME!
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Tue 18 Sep 2012 - 19:49

Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah the 67 caprice has the coolest body style. It has been in the family for a long time, my kids really want it over the other cars.
Seller's remorse really sucs doesn't it. Was the mustang a 5.0?

Thanks Graham
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down