G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'76 Malibu Convertible

4 posters

Go down

'76 Malibu Convertible Empty '76 Malibu Convertible

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Think I found my inspiration for Project Laguna! Getta load of this interior! Barf

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/3515651008.html

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

'76 Malibu Convertible Empty Re: '76 Malibu Convertible

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm

WOW...now that's custom!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Willing to bet they didnt do and frame strengthening like factory convertibles have. That baby will twist and the doors and fenders will start hitting.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Joe73 wrote:Willing to bet they didnt do and frame strengthening like factory convertibles have. That baby will twist and the doors and fenders will start hitting.
Does anyone know exactly what was done to strengthen the "factory convertibles? I have been thinking about putting in a shorty 4 point roll bar in my Elky just to strengthen the frame. It would be hard to do under the car for lack of room, so I might put a hoop up to the top of seats below the headrest and with legs runnung back to frame in front of back wheels. I do not want a roll bar above my head without wearing a helmet all the time in the city. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 pm

If I remember correctly a convertible frame, 72 and earlier, had much more "boxing" to it than non-convertibles. Especially the area from under the firewall to before the rear wheels.

For your idea for the 4 point roll bar to be effective I think you would have to go through the floor and secure it to the frame. Just putting a roll bar in the body wouldnt strengthen the frame. Two separate pieces of the car. I'm wondering if you could possibly section some of the boxed pieces from an elco into the same areas of a 2 door car. That would stiffen up the frame.

If anyone needs any frame measurements I have my restored frame sitting on stands in my garage. I can measure up any parts you like.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm

I suppose I should have put more detail in the post, I would fasten directly to the frame at all four points. I have not been serious about this because of money problems, so have not went into major fesibality checking. I am STILL in danger of the bank foreclosing on my house. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down