G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trans Am Shaker Conversion

5 posters

Go down

Trans Am Shaker Conversion Empty Trans Am Shaker Conversion

Post by Sleddogg Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 am

Well, I am sick of looking at the boring hood on the Grand Prix and all these Can Am pics popping up here has convinced me to go ahead with the Shaker conversion I have been kicking around forever. Getting the scoop isn't a issue, and even working out the bugs to make it all work doesn't bother me too much. However, the one hang up I have is I don't have access to a T/A hood. Long shot here, but any of you guys have access to a T/A , that you could trace out the hole for the shaker onto a piece of cardboard?? I would much rather have some sort of template than trying to wing it. Unfortunately I don't know anyone locally here with one, and getting out and scouring boneyards here is tough to do at the moment. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Take care,

Jesse
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Trans Am Shaker Conversion Empty Re: Trans Am Shaker Conversion

Post by 77mali Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 am

I've read that some years of those style shaker air systems are not functional and are purely for decoration. Don't know 100% if true but be careful which year you get just in case.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Good point. As far as I know, the 1970-72 Shakers were the the only truly operational version that had a flapper at the rear operated by solenoids to open and close with throttle. Most people just cut out the rear holes allowing air flow, however this also lets in water and debris, Luckily, there are aftermarket kits to retrofit the later non functional scoops to the flapper style. I would prefer to install a a earlier shaker because it has a more attractive shape, but I would think they later model would probably fit the lines of my car a little better, or maybe not.
Maybe I should just go with a cowl induction, but I sure like the shakers Smile
Thanks for responding!

Take care,

Jesse

Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:33 pm

My oldest son had a '70 Trans-Am with the shaker set up, but I don't remember how it functioned. I do remember that the HO power was kind of frightening until I got familiar with it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Jesse my friend in NY just put his NON functional scoop up for sale 125 shipped for everything base,carb ring and scoop AGAIN NON FUNCTIONAL but like you said they make kits for that
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 am

Somebody else on here has pics of a T/A shaker conversion on a Malibu hood. Darned if I can find the thread though. Neutral
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 am

Limey SE,

Are you referring to the air cleaner assy as well? Because that would be choice. Does he have it on CL or Ebay or just put the word out?

It seems like a really good deal for the whole setup.

Jesse
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 am

77mali wrote:Somebody else on here has pics of a T/A shaker conversion on a Malibu hood. Darned if I can find the thread though. Neutral

Its a monte ss with a shaker scoop
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am

Sleddogg wrote:Limey SE,

Are you referring to the air cleaner assy as well? Because that would be choice. Does he have it on CL or Ebay or just put the word out?

It seems like a really good deal for the whole setup.

Jesse

He has the air cleaner base,ring and scoop and no its not on CL he sent me an email of pics if your fwd you email I will send them to ya... and Include your phone number and I will fwd all to him and yoh can deal straight with him
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

[url=Trans Am Shaker Conversion Laguna10]
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

For some reason I remember the car being posted about but never finished or updated on progress. Seem to remember it was tan/beige....LOL

Looks like a nice job was done on that red one Wally. That's your new one right?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Yep That's the new ride I'm working on. I did not cut that hole it was done when I got the car. The actual scoop part that sticks up through the hood sits on top of a stock air cleaner with a snorkel tube on it. that's what was in the trunk for my setup. It is open in the back for air intake. I have no clue what setup is was from. I would say its from a trans am as the little vents in the front fenders match a TA also.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Great looking car Wally !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am

Wally, I dig that shaker on your car...Any close up pics of the scoop cut out??

Limey SE, I will send you a PM with my info.

Thanks,
JEsse
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am

Hood is standing up in the shed with stuff leaned up against it. Next time it nice out I'll take some photos for you. I have no idea how its was to look as that photo was taken from the guy I got it from. The 396 it had sitting in the engine bay was just sitting in with one bolt through a motor mount. It was so bent by the time we got home with it we had to beat it out. The Distributor was up against the fire wall and no tranny in it. So the scoop was just sitting on carb with out the base on it. My goal is to get it mounted on top the 5.3 truck intake to look like a normal shaker. If I can't get that to work out I'll mount it to the hood like a fake one.

Flash back:
When I was younger kid about 14 we had a kid in town we called plastic man as he had a nice 69 Nova with a roll bar in it with foam and zip ties over the foam on the bars. One day we noticed it was plastic PVC pipe for the roll bar so we nicked named him plastic man. I really want to avoid that kind of thing with a fake scoop so will do my best to keep it on the engine.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

Jesse I sent your contact info to my friend in NY you can deal straight with him he is sending pics to your email today and gave him your phone as well ... dont if you have texting on that number but sent one there
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down