G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Canuck car guy

+7
thatfnthing
dynchel
1973montec
Mcarlo77
Pontichev327
dragons_lair59
Sleddogg
11 posters

Go down

New Canuck car guy Empty New Canuck car guy

Post by Dinomyte Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi everyone :

I’m new here as you can tell.  Been working on a 1977 Malibu Classic for a while now.  

She’s a 2 door butter yellow, with tan vinyl top.

Built a 355 SBC for her last winter with my boys, has a mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake with a Q-Jet on top and some nice flowing heads.

At present working on the interior.  I’ve scored an almost perfect set of swivel bucket seats, with console, shifter and a rear bench from a 75 Malibu.  That will be this winters project.  If anyone’s got suggestions on replacing the OE bench with these OE buckets it would be great to hear from you.  

After that she’ll be getting a new rear end as the factory 2.56 gears are great on the highway, but don’t provide much low end get up and go.

As for me, I’m a computer technician by trade.

Enjoy, Dino
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

New Canuck car guy Empty Re: New Canuck car guy

Post by Sleddogg Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Welcome Dino, good looking Malibu!
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:16 pm

The buckets should bolt right in if you have the bases. You will have to get the right seat belts or so I'm told because there are 3 different types bench bucket and swivel bucket. And welcome
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Welcome! Nice lookin' Malibu! There are lots of older threads about changing over the interior. Just read thru some and if you have other questions,there are lots of helpful people here.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Welcome to the site, Dino! That's a sweet car you're working on...especially, once you get those swivel buckets and console installed!

Speaking of which, it isn't quite as simple as just bolting in the swivels. For one, you'll need to add another set of mtg studs for the inner rear seat tracks that aren't there for your bench seat. Secondly, you'll notice the outer rear seat track mounts on top of your seat belt retractor. That won't be the case with your swivels...so, you'll need to find the correct retractors for swivel bucket seats. There is a special bracket spot welded to the floor to accomodate this retractor; along with a stud to fasten down the seat track. Maybe can cut that out of that '75 Malibu donor car? Inner belts are pretty much the same for std and swivel buckets...except, the std bucket belts are maybe an inch or two shorter. Regardless, they are the stand-up style that are different than what's in your bench seat. If you need pics, let me know. Think I have a set of those outer brackets to show you.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:20 pm

welcome
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

1973montec wrote:welcome
X2
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Dinomyte wrote:At present working on the interior.  I’ve scored an almost perfect set of swivel bucket seats, with console, shifter and a rear bench from a 75 Malibu.  That will be this winters project.  If anyone’s got suggestions on replacing the OE bench with these OE buckets it would be great to hear from you.  

After that she’ll be getting a new rear end as the factory 2.56 gears are great on the highway, but don’t provide much low end get up and go.
Welcome!

The 2.56 are definitely mileage gears.  The most you can go up to with the stock trans would be 3.08 -- after that you'll have a high RPM screamer on the highway.  If you plan to get an OD trans, though, you can go considerably higher.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

New Canuck car guy Empty Thanks

Post by Dinomyte Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes.  

It's nice to know there are others out there with rides like mine and I'm not the only one working on one of these . . . I don't see many around here.

I'll post some bigger / better pictures when I get a chance, decided to go for a drive tonight instead of pictures.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Welcome ! Great to have you here !

Bill

pila
Donating Member