G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painless Wireharness

5 posters

Go down

Painless Wireharness  Empty Painless Wireharness

Post by thepossumface Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Has anyone used a painless or EZ wireharness?
I would like to remove my old setup with a newer one,
and clean up a ton of my wires that I have scattered around the car,
I have a 70 or 80 camaro dash with autometer gauges straight to the motor and trans.
Any advice?
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Painless Wireharness  Empty Re: Painless Wireharness

Post by driveit Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 am

I am anxious to see what you find out. I would love to do the same.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:29 am

I used a m & h electric fabricators harness (562) 926-9552. I purchased it from opg, but you can go directly through them. They told me they could make changes to the harness for custom applications, sounds like what you need. You will need to figure out what year dash you have as the '70-78 dash is different that the '79-81.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:40 am

If you have electrical gremlins or want to upgrade the original barrel-fuses to the newer ATO style, then it's a great idea, but it's a fair amount of work and the full harnesses aren't cheap.  If all you need to do is hook up aftermarket gauges, then you can do it simpler and cheaper by getting just the Painless gauge harness.  Get out your wiring diagram for the car, cut off the head of the printed circuit connector in your existing dash, and hook up the appropriate wires harness-to-harness. I wouldn't use any of the Camaro wiring unless absolutely necessary.

Some gauges will already be calibrated to accept the factory sender (such as fuel level) so all you have to do is connect the wire from the dash harness to the same wire from the gauge harness.  Others, however, may require their own sender to be used (such as speedo), in which case you may have to run a few wires and install a few senders, but it's less work and expense overall than redoing the entire electrical system.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah my friend has 2 camaro a 71 and a 89 iroc im still trying to decide which one i would like to get, the AC/Heat is gonna be taken out of it along with all the stuff under the dash. I figure wiring up a switch for my wippers and lights cant be to hard I can keep both switches if i got with the 71 dash style
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 am

now my fuel gauge im getting is aftermarket as well, does anyone have a wiring diagram on the computer they could email me? it would be much appreciated
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 am

If you haven't purchased the fuel gauge yet, get one for 0-90 ohms -- that's the GM calibrated one. If you have a different one already, you'll need a different sender in the tank.

I'll see if I can dig up my diagrams and get them scanned in, but they'll all be for 73. Shouldn't be too far off, though.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:17 am

yeah i think the 73-77 wiring should all be the same if not pretty close, but i havent bought one yet though, ill deff know which one to get now cause mine is all out of wack i may need to put a new sender in anyway, but ill do that once i drop the tank for the trunk pan
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I would like to do the whole car, take away the Nutural Saftey switch as it doesnt even work correctly its jerry rigged.Evil or Very Mad 
but i would like the blinkers,wippers, inside and outside lights to all be ran to the new harness plus i think it will take away all of my extra wires on there from the AC stuff to the other Misc things i wont need
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 am

G.e.m street rods has a nice set up for 200 and other G3 guys have usedand said they are easy to go in and love them
http://www.gemstreetrods.com/Wiring%20Kits.htm

dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: