G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batteries Rated by CR

+2
texan01
Mcarlo77
6 posters

Go down

Batteries Rated by CR Empty Batteries Rated by CR

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 9:45

Being that Fall is upon us and Winter not far behind, I'm sure some of you (like myself) are wondering if our daily driver's batteries are going to pull us through yet another cold winter. Anyway, there's a timely article in the latest (Nov.) issue of Consumer Reports rating the performance of batteries in all six Group Sizes. Interestingly, the EverStart (Walmart) and Kirkland (Costco) batteries were either at or near the top of the pack in every Group. DieHards were strong performers as well; albeit at premium prices. Just as interesting is that NAPA was only mentioned once (Group Size 65) at position #5. Interstate was mentioned in all Groups, but usually in the middle of the pack.

So...based on your own experiences, are they full of s**t or, can anybody substantiate their findings? I've bought EverStarts and have had good luck with them. I've also bought Duralasts and they didn't hold up so well.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Batteries Rated by CR Empty Re: Batteries Rated by CR

Post by texan01 Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 10:36

I tend to stay away from Interstates because when I sold car parts, they had a bad habit of coming in with the tops blown off and cracked cases.

We sold GNB battery products which were pretty good at the time, no idea if they are still around or if Exide bought them out.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 12:17

I work in the auto repair business, we use only napa batterys. This said I would never install a napa battery in one of my own cars. We warranty out too many. I bought a driving force gold battery probably 10 years ago for my '74. It was the cheapest one available from a local a/p chain (that was later bought out by o'reileys.). It's still going strong. I'll warn anyone here that we are having really bad problems with napa power steering parts (on GM vehicles). I have witnessed p/s pumps replaced with a napa part, being noisey (whining). Replacing it with another napa part that was no better. Finally resorting to a dealer part to fix the problem. We recently replaced a rack and pinion (chevy Colorado) and the thing more or less self destructed in 3 days. "get the good stuff" my a$$. Final note napa batterys are made by exide.

Last edited by dynchel on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 12:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added final detail)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 16:14

Down here in phx the best batteries I've had are the yellow top duralast from autozone. The are the only product I'll buy from there
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 16:54

I only use everstarts from walmart. I've been using them for over a decade. They are in my daily driver and (2) big ones in my diesel pickup. I also run their group 29 as a starter battery in my bass boat and it also runs my electronics, stereo and livewells as well. Never a burp out of it. I also run (2) deep cycle everstarts for my trolling motor (24 volts) in my bass boat. I love their batts. Never had to return a defective one.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 7:44

I've had most every brand out there. The Walmart batteries worked good for me.
Bought one at the local Advance Auto, and had to get tough with them to replace it, when it wouldn't hold a charge at 1 year old. I see that Sam's Club has Duracell brand, like the copper top brand batteries. A friend bought one, but no track record on that one yet.
The wife's Buick has an Interstate in it. Prices on those has went out of sight lately, so no more of those either....
The worst batteries I've had is the Excide brand, and one called Durapower, from a farm store....junk in my experience.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum