G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of radio?

+2
thatfnthing
JiMi_DRiX
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

What kind of radio? Empty What kind of radio?

Post by wispartan1026 Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:47 am

Lately, my dad has been complaining about radio reception in his '77 Malibu. He still has the original analog radio. He would like a newer radio with digital tuning, but he doesn't want to sacrifice the originality of the interior. Do you know of any modern radios that would appear to be original to the casual observer?

wispartan1026
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

What kind of radio? Empty Re: What kind of radio?

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:02 am

These are really cool, from Custom Auto Sound. They look like original style, but they have newer technology, aux input, USB, aux outputs. I'm thinking about getting one for my 73 since I want to keep that car more "original"
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 am

I have a old shaft style Kenwood. My brother bought it new in about 1995. While it dosent really look original, its the right style and fit w/o any hacking.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:39 am

OPGI sells some that appear original but have all modern internals, but they're not cheap.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by wispartan1026 Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:These are really cool, from Custom Auto Sound. They look like original style, but they have newer technology, aux input, USB, aux outputs. I'm thinking about getting one for my 73 since I want to keep that car more "original"

thatfnthing wrote:OPGI sells some that appear original but have all modern internals, but they're not cheap.

Either of you guys have links for those?

dynchel wrote:I have a old shaft style Kenwood.  My brother bought it new in about 1995.  While it dosent really look original, its the right style and fit w/o any hacking.

Got a picture of it?

EDIT: I went to Custom Auto Sound, and they don't have any for these cars. Naturally.

http://customautosound.com/

wispartan1026
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 am

How about this?? Original no but would fit without hacking. Otherwise, just mount a late model radio in the glove box and leave the stock one in the dash.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/4253678739.html

I personally rather have a radio with a built in amp with at least 40 watts.  Dont want to do the extra wiring or mounting for an external amp.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by wispartan1026 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:04 am

Joe73 wrote:How about this??  Original no but would fit without hacking.  Otherwise, just mount a late model radio in the glove box and leave the stock one in the dash.  

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/4253678739.html

I personally rather have a radio with a built in amp with at least 40 watts.  Dont want to do the extra wiring or mounting for an external amp.

You hit the nail on the head there with the built-in amp thing. My dad isn't really a wiring guy, so the less wiring, the better. I know he wouldn't go for something like that. The closer to plug-and-play, the better.

This one looks promising:
http://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1977/mobile-electronics/audio-components/CH30229/

wispartan1026
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am

dynchel wrote:I have a old shaft style Kenwood.  My brother bought it new in about 1995.  While it dosent really look original, its the right style and fit w/o any hacking.

Got a picture of it?

https://www.g3gm.com/t7681-new-stereo-install
Mine is the first picture,  This is a nice stereo if you can find one.  When we purchased it  the guy said kenwood had just discontinued shaft style radios.  It is a high power unit, and was top of the line (shaft style) when purchased.  My mom's '76 Camaro has a similar style alpine stereo in it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm not a purist, so I have late radios in the Malibu & Elco, with CD players.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down