G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E3 spark plugs

+2
77mali
dynchel
6 posters

Go down

E3 spark plugs Empty E3 spark plugs

Post by chevellelaguna Sat 3 May 2014 - 21:27

Anyone running those E3 spark plugs?  Basically have three prongs over the electrode .....supposed to be a better burn hotter spark. I'm a loooong way from thoughts of spark plugs...but, when my ride was together it ate spark plugs and spit them out. Literally melting the electrodes. 12.5:1 compression and iron heads and 46 degrees of timing kills my AC Delco plugs. Regular driving on the street required less timing and low revs, not "lead footn' it " at EVERY stoplight. Just thought of maybe changing to these E3 down the road.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

E3 spark plugs Empty Re: E3 spark plugs

Post by dynchel Sun 4 May 2014 - 6:49

I had thought about those last plug change, but ended up using regular ac delco's instead ( they are a bit expensive). I have a Msd 6a2 box, with a accell hei super coil & Taylor wires.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun 4 May 2014 - 8:16

I ran E-3's in my Jeep once. Shortly after install I started getting a load of misfire codes. I've only gone with the factory original recommended plugs since then on any of my cars. They might be OK for a big combustion chamber but in my case, they ran way too hot.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun 4 May 2014 - 11:43

All those extra ground electrodes on a spark plug don't do all that much. In fact, plugs stay cleaner with one electrode. The latest & greatest aircraft plugs have only one ground electrode, instead of the 2, 3, or 4 that were used for 60+ years, and the latest and best are iridium, and ONLY about 65 bucks each ! Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun 4 May 2014 - 21:53

pila wrote:All those extra ground electrodes on a spark plug don't do all that much. In fact, plugs stay cleaner with one electrode.  The latest & greatest aircraft plugs have only one ground electrode, instead of the 2, 3, or 4 that were used for 60+ years, and the latest and best are iridium, and ONLY about 65 bucks each ! Very Happy 

Well sign me up for 8!  We'll do that instead of a mortgage payment this month  affraid

Aside from the shock, my understanding is that it's not the number of electrodes, it's how "Good and clean" your spark is, and that's all about how clean is your plug to begin with.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon 5 May 2014 - 7:25

What gas are you running at that compression? I have had no problems running the NGK V power plugs in my chevelle. That is almost 14:1 compression on race gas.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon 5 May 2014 - 7:32

When I run race fuel there's no issue, happens when I run anything less like Sunoco 94 have to set the timing back
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon 5 May 2014 - 8:46

That is just wicked detonation on pump gas. I don't think any plug is going to withstand that. What camshaft, heads and piston are in it?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon 5 May 2014 - 11:29

It's a zero decked 355 small block with 12.5:1 TRW forged 3/8" domed pistons, 74 cc iron heads 882 castings (I took out a coffee can of material, porting them) the cam isn't crazy it's a Crane hydraulic with .580 lift int/exh. The cranking compression is around 260psi. (The pistons were spec'd at 12.5:1 with 76 cc heads) luckily with 94 octane and the timing set at 39 degrees it detonates at high RPMs but doesn't rattle or ping.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon 5 May 2014 - 12:15

I am going to say the cam @.050" duration is too small for that much compression and the timing is too high. You should never have to go past 40 degrees total timing. With 12.5-1 compression and a steel head, I would be at a minimum of 260 degrees duration @.050".
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon 5 May 2014 - 14:14

I'll dig out the cam card, I forget what the duration is. I'm sure you're right though. I know the iron heads aren't the best but, aluminum ones were out of the realm of being affordable in the 90's. Planning on aluminum heads and a larger cam in the future. One thing at a time for now.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon 5 May 2014 - 20:54

With that high a ratio, maybe more duration in cam design would close the intake valve a bit later, reducing compression a bit...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down