G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields.

+4
1973 454 MONTE
pila
Mcarlo77
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
8 posters

Go down

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields. Empty Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields.

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Whats the correct original color for the heat shields that to around the spark plugs?

Painted them silver on my Chevelle...looks sharp. But am curious to what the original color is.

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields. 24649040051_large

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields. Empty Re: Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields.

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

If I remember correctly, my 76 shields were unpainted. I'll double check the parts car to see if they are the same, but silver would probably be your best bet. Looks like your rebuild went fairly quick.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields. Empty Re: Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields.

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

That's the motor form my Chevelle...not the Monte...lol.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Thinking either silver again...or sandblast them and paint them with clear. Mhmmm...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 pm

they made shields for these? i never knew that.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm

i always remember them being plain jane metal
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:10 pm

x2...pretty sure they were just plain metal with some kind of zinc? coating on them. I'd check on my Monte, but it's in storage...sorry.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 am

Yeah, I believe they were coated, like zinc, which was used on many parts. If they were bare, they sure wouldn't have lasted very long, at least not in Michigan!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

Found this picture from that 545 mile Monte Carlo.

Exhaust manifold/spark plug shields. IMG_6293

It'll look close enough if I do them silver I think. I'm not out to win a Concours D'Elegance...just want it to look good at local shows Smile

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:39 am

I agree with the zinc, they were probably galvanized from the factory so they all look dull gray.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm

the original ones off my 73 454 are plain jane. they are different than yours but dont look painted.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:49 pm

non painted even to this day
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:50 pm

most of the time they went bye bye with first tune up they went do to the bloody knuckles they caused
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Just confirmed for you buddy. I still have one off of my 76 & it is plain jane non-painted metal. The 77 still has them intact & they too are non-painted. Silver, clear, or non-painted are gonna be your closest matches here.

Sam, just thinking about changing plugs with those SOBs in place makes my knuckles hurt.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

Yesterday, I was not home all day - but my dad wanted to do some work on his own, and he told me he sand blasted one of these shields, and they did not come out real well, not nice enough to spray clear.

So, silver is where I'm going.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-75-NOS-GM-CAMARO-NOVA-CHEVELLE-MONTE-CARLO-SHIELDS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c27af0c6QQitemZ110637019334QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

74MonteCarlo, a nos set of shields on ebay, they look silver to me.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks.

I already painted them silver Thumbs up

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down