G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wiring harness?

+2
Hydro King
BlackChevelleSS
6 posters

Go down

wiring harness? Empty wiring harness?

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:58 pm

anyone know where to buy all wiring harnesses for 73 chevelle malibus? 2door 350ci/th-350, i need it all lights, headlight, markers, taillights, every wire there is..
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

wiring harness? Empty Re: wiring harness?

Post by Hydro King Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 am

I bought mine through painless wiring here is the LINK
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 am

IF YOU WANT TO STAY WITH STOCK APPEARANCE ONCE AGAIN ORIGINAL PARTS GROUP

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:26 am

man, how much you looking to pay. If I buy those other 2 cars ill have 2 wiring harnesses and id pull out the best forward harness for ya...

wiring harness? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:28 pm

i said i needed one as well dont forget brother but i just need the firewall to dash harness

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:48 pm

I have that too goony
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:05 pm

ok prob solved thanks hydro

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:38 pm

let goon have it, id rather buy it new so no probs and if there is i get a new one.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:57 pm

no go ahead corey hydro has me covered for what part i need

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

wiring harness? Empty help needed on Malibu Classic wiring harnesses galore

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:42 pm

The Malibu Classics have all kinds of wiring harness parts. Fortunately I have had few problems with mine so far but the car is nearing 50 years obviously. As I noted elsewhere, I am trying to identify correct replacements for all my 76 Malibu parts. The wiring harnesses are a bit of a mystery to me as I don't know the relative failure rate of different harnesses nor the adequacy of stock replacements. (Not looking for upgrade kits.) I have found two sources: M&H and Lectric Limited. Don't know how well these are for G3 or whether others are better or cheaper.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:15 pm

From personal experience of using my '74 as my daily driver for nearly 40 years now, the factory harnesses is, for the most part, adequate. However, as the years and miles have rolled by, I have discovered some circuits that benefitted from some improvement.

The one thing that gets little attention or downright neglected is grounding. Nearly every problem I've encountered was either solved or could have been prevented with good grounding. By the way, checking ground means disconnecting, cleaning the wire or strap terminal AND connection points with steel wool, then reconnecting.

Moving on, these are the circuits I've identified as benefiting from some attention:
  • The wires feeding current to the AC/heater blower motor and switches. Increase the thickness (gauge) of the wire to the next size up. For instance, if it's 18 gauge, replace it with a 16 gauge wire.
  • Go big with the battery cables. I like Mark's solution of using welding cable to make battery cables.
  • Upgrade the charging wire coming off the alternator from 10-ga to 8-ga.
  • Unless you're sticking with the stock GM PowerBeam incandescent headlights, upgrade the headlight circuit under the hood to a fuse protected relay switched circuit.

Any circuit you are considering adding something that draws more current such as going from a single horn to a dual horn, upgrade with with a fuse protected relay switch circuit.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

wiring harness? Empty thanks for the reply

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:14 pm

Thanks zucchi, this is useful info and sort of goes along with my intuition as well for the most part. Actually all contacts should be cleaned in heavy draw circuits, not only the grounding circuit. Yes the A/C harness I think is the first harness I will work on. With respect to the charging cable to the battery, I am slightly upgrading the alternator to an 80 amp model. My understanding is that 6 gauge wire is indicated. Is that too much? I'm sticking with stock lamps and not adding much at all of an electrical load elsewhere. So A/C, alternator and battery are the most urgent in that situation for upgrade.

If something like the dash harness needs replacement eventually, does anyone have familiarity with which aftermarket builder is the most reliable? I am trying to stockpile various hard to find parts.

76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:49 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:My understanding is that 6 gauge wire is indicated. Is that too much?
Not at all. However, I suggest you run the charging wire from the alternator to the main distribution junction block. On my Monte Carlo, it's on the firewall next to the power brake booster. If your car's wiring diagram is like mine (check your service manual), you'll see that the factory spliced the charging wire into the wire that goes from the junction block to the hot terminal on the starter solenoid; by the way, that wire is protected by a fusible link. So, going 6-ga from the alternator to the battery keeps the battery happy but leaves the rest of your entire electrical system to draw current from a 10-gauge (or is it 12-gauge… don't have it in front of me here at work) wire.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

wiring harness? Empty thanks again

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:35 pm

An excellent point zucchi. Much appreciated.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down