G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel size help

5 posters

Go down

Wheel size help Empty Wheel size help

Post by A_Tame76 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello all.  Hoping some of you with experience with wheel fitment with our cars can chime in here.  I have a 76 Malibu first off.

I am looking to upgrade to 17's on my car.  Currently there are 15's on it.   I've read, AND seen that our cars can handle a 17 x 10.5 in the rear and 17 X 9 in front.   I don't want anything too large in the rear.  I simple want to fill out these large wheel wells we all have, and make it look more proportionate.  

Now if I'm not mistaken, our bolt patterns are 5 X 4.5"???  I believe that equates to 5 X 120.70 in metric I believe?
I kind of like the American Racing wheel, AR605 Torq Thrust M and they are offered in the above mentioned sizes.  
The following link shows these wheels if you scroll down and find the model wheel.
http://www.wheelpros.com/wheels?brand=American%20Racing
I called a local wheel and tire supplier in my area (Suburban Tire).  He called American Racing and a rep from AR told him that the sizes I want won't fit my car.  I don't believe this to be true based on what I've read and seen.  Can anyone share their experiences and or what combos they have on and know to work with our body style?  
If you go on Youtube and search bank robbers Chevelle...you'll see a 73 Chevelle with the exact sizes that I mentioned above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gaewg3RepU

My tire size I'd like to do is 285/40/17 in front, and 315 or 335/35/17 in the rear.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by A_Tame76 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Wheel size help Empty Re: Wheel size help

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Our bolt pattern is 4.75" and if you still mean Tony Lloyds car his were custom ordered with the offset / backspace he wanted most rim places will do this fod you but charge you extra
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Tame76 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:42 pm

I was also told by another wheel rep that the pattern of 5 X 4.75 would not work.  This was when I was looking at this wheel that only comes in a 5 x 4.75" pattern.
http://4wheelonline.com/oe-creations-pr106-chrome-wheels.234250.0

Now I'm all sorts of screwed up and confused!  Smile

My ideas of sizes of wheels that fit came from the Bank Robber's Special 73 Chevelle in that YouTube link. He directly mentioned those exact sizes in the clip.
And yes, I did like Tony's 73 as well.
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Our bolt pattern is definitely 5 x 4.75".  A 10" rim will definitely fit on the rear of your car.  I run a 15" x 10" wide centerline with a 50 series tire.  My backspace is 4.5".  Backspacing of 4.5" to 5.5" will be required.  

For the 17's, you'll just have to do some math with offsets, backspace and TIRE diameters to see what will fit properly and is to your liking.

Last edited by Joe73 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:14 pm

he wants to go to 17" so I think some others here have gone that route already
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Also with some further research Jeff I believe with the way your car is sitting the 315 will be the best fitment for your Chevelle
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

AR tech are stupid if they say our cars are ford Pattern I would have hung up right there
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Tame76 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm learning this things now Anthony. What makes you think a 315 tire might fit better than a 335?
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:39 pm

just by others that have done the 17" size and I have seen how your car sits so I think that would be a good choice
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:46 pm

FWIW I'm running 17x9's with 275/40 up front and 275/50 out back, but it gets weird after that: the wheels have like 6" backspacing and are 5.5" bolt circle, so I am running 1.5" adapters up front and 1.25" in the rear. The wheels are in just the right spots now, but if I go any wider, I risk contacting the quarter or frame in the rear, and the sway bar up front.

Wheel size help Front510
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Tame76 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Good information.  So your rears don't rub at all now correct?  I think the wheel wells on the Malibu's are a little wider than the Monte's if I'm not mistaken. I like the stance on your car.
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks. No rubbing.  Got about 1/2" clearance on either side of the tires.  Based on what others have been doing around here, it certainly sounds like the Chevelle has more room out back than the Monte.  I know I couldn't do a 315 without major surgery.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Tame76 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 pm

That's my plan is for a 315/35/17 in the rear. Hoping someone here with a Malibu/Laguna/Chevelle has those on to hear what they think of them.
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Here the build threads on the 73 you saw on youtube
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/70971-Project-quot-BAD-BUZZ-quot-1973-chevelle-PT-Build
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39070
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Tame76 Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:55 pm

Hey thanks for posting that! What a fun read!
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down