G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior rear view mirror repair

4 posters

Go down

Interior rear view mirror repair Empty Interior rear view mirror repair

Post by builtnotbought Mon May 30, 2016 10:57 am

Googled but found nothing interesting.
Does anybody know if there is any chance to take out mirror glass from it's metal body?
There is some plastic/rubber edging on the metal body that I think holds the glass inside. If glass isn't glued inside of coarse.
I tried to bend edging a little bit but it goes hard and doesn't free the glass. Don't want to break it.
The idea is to take out glass and cut new one.
Thank you for any info on this.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Interior rear view mirror repair Empty Re: Interior rear view mirror repair

Post by Hs1973 Mon May 30, 2016 3:25 pm

Just smash the glass. Then you can see If it comes apart somehow. Othervise a mirror from just about any other gm model will fit the glass food. Or you could Cut some new mirror glas and glue on top of the old glass. That would however need to be Cut very precise and be as close to the edge as possible.

But im pretty sure that If you brake the glass first it would be easier to see how it is put in. I put in a mirror from a S10 chevy Pick up with the card lights in it. And it fit with no mods, other than a little wiring.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Mon May 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Hs1973 wrote:Just smash the glass. Then you can see If it comes apart somehow. Othervise a mirror from just about any other gm model will fit the glass food. Or you could Cut some new mirror glas and glue on top of the old glass. That would however need to be Cut very precise and be as close to the edge as possible.

But im pretty sure that If you brake the glass first it would be easier to see how it is put in. I put in a mirror from a S10 chevy Pick up with the card lights in it. And it fit with no mods, other than a little wiring.

This is what I would say. Heck, my '63 Catalina had a bad mirror. I stopped by a vendor in Daytona that sold repro parts and a 64 Impala rearview mirror was the same thing as my Catalina.

Now if you are just looking for something to do then I guess you have a challenge on your hands.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon May 30, 2016 7:33 pm

The mirror glass has the reflective silvering on the backside. That, in turn, is glued to a backing plate. It's not as simple as replacing a piece of glass. You'd need a piece of mirror glass cut to size...and, it's going to be far more expensive to find some company that custom cuts than finding a good used mirror.

And, Damon23 is correct in that you can use mirrors from other car makes/models...in this case, most any GM cars from the '70's/early '80's. Only difference might be the length of them. They all mount the same way.

If you need help with a good replacement, let me know.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks everybody for replies!

I have some rust inside and silvering damaging.
Yes, the idea was to find somebody who can cut new piece of mirror the same size as old. But yes I didn't search for price of this work.
I think it's impossible to find mirrors from other models in mint condition here in RU.

As for the smashing the mirror - it will go out, but I think there is no chance to push in new piece of the same size if plastic edging is solidified as mine. And smaller size piece of mirror to push it freely in will not look oem.

Thank you, I will think more.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down