G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power steering to manual conversion

4 posters

Go down

Power steering to manual conversion Empty Power steering to manual conversion

Post by wbaker01 Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:21 pm

Looking to do the power steering to manual steering box swap on my car (73). Has anyone done this that can lend any advice? I can find a manual steering box pretty easily but not the manual pitman arm..

Thanks,
Bill

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Power steering to manual conversion Empty Re: Power steering to manual conversion

Post by BBMALIBU Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:30 am

Finding a pitman arm for manual steering is not easy. I believe Speedway Motors may offer one.

Just my 2 cents; although I installed manual steering in my 76 Malibu, if you don't need to install manual steering...keep the P/S.

BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Power steering to manual conversion Empty Re: Power steering to manual conversion

Post by Joe73 Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am

If you need to see what a stock one looks like, page 3 in my build thread on the bottom, has pics of my rebuilt factory manual box with pitman arm.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:45 pm

I just checked my gm parts manual and it lists this part number. Maybe you can cross reference or something.

73-74 Chevelle (exc. p/s) 7815866 Pitman

Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks Joe..There's one on eBay right now for $75.00. I'm not ready to pay that much yet..

A bit of why I am doing this is because the car is torn apart right now and I'm putting in a 555 big block. Trying to save whatever weight I can as the car becomes more of a strip car than a street car.Power steering to manual conversion Thumb_10

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:43 pm

This might be a little more redneck than you prefer (sorry if I've offended any rednecks) but you can remove the power steering pump and lines but leave the gear. This eliminates the parasitic loses of the accessory drive and most of the weight.

You can't just plug the ports in the gear, though, because it can hydraulically lock up. You need to take a short piece of pipe to shunt across the two and allow any remaining fluid to flow around in the gear.

Mine's been this way for probably 25 years or so. It's fine at speed and for low speed maneuvering, but you do need to be moving at least a slow speed or you are going to have to really crank on the wheel.

I'm also at 555 cubic inches, btw (approx. 950 HP naturally aspirated).

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down