G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any wiring wizards?

5 posters

Go down

Any wiring wizards? Empty Any wiring wizards?

Post by fasrnur Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 pm

So I have a problem that's driving me crazy. When I have my park lights or headlights on and turn on either side turn signal, the opposite side light blinks ever so lightly. When I shut of the light and only use the turn signals, no problem at all. It's as though it's back feeding somewhere and I'll be darned if I can find where it is. So if there's any wiring wizards out there with any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Jeff
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Any wiring wizards? Empty Re: Any wiring wizards?

Post by 77ElClassic Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:42 pm

When the non-desired light is slightly blinking, can you tell if it's the high wattage filament lighting up or is it the low watt filament (the one that should be on for the running lights) dimming slightly?
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17 am

That's something I didn't check, but I'd have to say it's the low wattage because the side makers blink lightly also.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77ElClassic Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 am

Although I can think of several possibilities, the easiest and quickest is to test for a shorted connection at one of the sockets by removing the bulb at each of the points one at a time - checking the socket for damage, corrosion, or anything that could cause the low and high watt contacts to connect to each other, no matter how slightly. Also verify that it is the correct bulb. After testing for the ghost blink, replace and move to the next bulb. Don't forget to include the side markers in this process. Hopefully you'll find the culprit.
I'm not sure what exact year your car is or if all years are wired the same. Mine's a 77. If yours is the same then you should notice that the front side markers are wired independently from the turn signal lights. This is necessary as they are single filament but dual function. What should happen is if you use a turn signal with the running lights off, the front side marker on that side should flash in unison with the front turn signal (the rear side markers don't flash). But if you turn the running lights on, the side marker should flash alternating with the front turn signal, then become a solid running light when the turn signal is turned off. A buddy had a similar issue as yours, but he had both filaments on the front and rear flashing dimly and the corresponding side markers front and rear flashing as well. We discovered that a previous owner had tried to make the rear markers flash like the front by splicing a jumper wire from the high watt connection of the tail lights to the side markers.
If none of these reveal the cause, the next best step would be to try both a known good headlight switch and turn signal switch. Hopefully you won't have to start chasing a harness gremlin.
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 am

mine is a 75 and I did notice the whole blinking not blinking thing with the turn signals. I will have to go back and check one of the front side markers as I had to rewire it due to sitting in a barn for a year and having mice chew up the wires to one of the side markers. It males since that it could be the problem. Thanks for the suggestion 77ElClassic. I'll look tomorrow when I get home from work. This problem, putting in the new carpet, and the exhaust system and it'll be back on the road. WOOHOO!
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:43 am

Tjek all Ground wires. Sounds like it could be whats Wrong. Usually when something is flashing thats not supposed to, its because the High watt side of the bulp is getting Ground trough the low watt side due to a bad Ground connection. So tjek the Ground to the body and the Ground to the light harness.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 pm

^^^^^ This.

Check all ground connections everywhere in the lighting wire harness. There is a ground near each headlight, and a main ground near the trunk latch for the rear harness. Inspect the sockets themselves because the outer sheath that the light bulb tabs lock into is the ground connection for the bulb. I don't know the condition of your vehicle, but if you have rust issues you may want to run extra ground wires to the frame or body. I believe there is no such thing as too many grounding points.

I once ran an external ground wire from a light socket because the socket itself had corroded connections that I didn't know how to get to at the time.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 am

I had a similar situation recently. When I was putting all my front end lights back in, some of the wrong bulbs were flashing. I had both grounds near the headlights attached well to the core support. When I grounded them to the engine, it seemed to straighten out. I was absolutely a ground issue. Since I took the car apart, I installed fiberglass fenders. This was not allowing my core support to ground through them to the rest of the car. I installed a ground strap from the core support to the frame and everything is better.

Look for a bad ground..... Rolling Eyes

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I went thru all the grounds for the lights and did find a few that were loose. I replaced and tighten those that needed it and guess what? It still was doing the same thing. I threw my hands in the air and walked away from that problem.

I moved on to other areas that needed working on and needed to start the car and it wouldn't start. So I jumped it with my wife's car and it started right up. I had bumped the turn signal lever while in the car I guess and when I looked at the lights, they worked like they were suppose to. Well I'll be dipped, it must have been an almost dead battery causing all my problems with the lights. Now that my battery has a full charge there is no problem at all. Man do I feel like an idiot!  

Anyways...thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down