G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering Shaft HELP!!!

3 posters

Go down

Steering Shaft HELP!!! Empty Steering Shaft HELP!!!

Post by 77ElClassic Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:42 am

A couple months ago, I bought a short-ratio steering box from a member here for my 77 EC. The member said the box was removed from a 73 MC he was parting out. I quickly discovered that the MC box had a larger input shaft than my 77 box, 3/4" vs. 13/16" I believe. To compound the issue, my rag joint is completely riveted to the steering shaft and only roughly 2.5" in diameter whereas the one for the MC box (the seller was thoughtful enough to include this, thank you) bolts to the steering shaft and is closer to 3.5" in diameter, so simply adapting my shaft seems not to be an option. The member I purchased this from is checking to see he still has the shaft from the donor vehicle.

The question is - is it that simple? Do all our vehicles have the same output shaft at the steering column and adapting to the various steering box options is just a matter of installing the shaft that matches the box? Or are there other compatibility issues I need to check?

If it is just a different shaft that I need, does anyone think they may have one available in case the member I purchased from doesn't have one?

Thanks
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Steering Shaft HELP!!! Empty Re: Steering Shaft HELP!!!

Post by Joe73 Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 am

I have one.from a.73.chevelle sitting on my bench along with the steering box.   PM me the questions you have. .  I was.just getting ready to list them up for sale.  
If you need some.pics, pm me your email address.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm

I had a similar issue on my 73. GM changed the input shaft size on the box sometime in the late 70's. I swapped a box from a 86 MC into the '73. I used a rag joint from a late 80's pickup and everything bolted up together quite nicely. The rag joint bolted onto the steering shaft. It had 2 studs & nuts. It was not one piece.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77ElClassic Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 pm

That's sort of the problem. I have the correct rag joint for the new box, but my 77 shaft has a way smaller rag joint that's fully riveted. Even if I drill the rivets out, the shaft is too small to fit on the correct one. I'm hoping all I need is a similar shaft assembly as the one from the donor car.

Joe73 - PM sent
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:04 am

Check your emails.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down